bed linens

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:25 am

Can anyone explain bed linens? I know big names like Porthault and Frette but there is more than this. Who are the top makers? What makes a great sheet?

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:21 pm

Beddings are like fine custom clothes.

E.g., visit the model beds and beddings at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Then go over to Frette. There is a difference in design, colors, quality of the cotton, density of the cotton, and quality of manufacture.

Aside from the names that you mention, there are a couple of top makers with their own stores on Madison Avenue. Their names escape me.

Frette quality sheets are beautiful. However, they require hand care and hand ironing. They are expensive to maintain. My wife bought some, and she has not had the heart to use them yet!

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:10 pm

Pratessi, Sferra, Porthault, Frette, Schwabischen Jungfrau, Jesurum. I know the names. The question is, what makes a fine sheet? As we have seen, because of marketing and real estate there is a substantial difference in cost between names like Brioni and say, Hitchcock. Plus, I am sure that there are manufacturers who make sheets for these big names. From my unsophisticated viewpoint, I have always liked the aesthetic sensiblity of Descamps (the French/global chain), but I wonder if they are small potatoes.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:41 pm

You are right. A good amount of the cost of luxury linens involves the mystique, high rents, marketing, designers, etc.

However, isn't that the case with most luxuries? Isn't part of the experience going to the best part of town to a beautiful showroom?

Is there an "off the Row" equivalent for sheets? I don't know. All of the luxury linen companies run sales as well as sample sales off premises.

As for me, I'm a humble guy. Charisma sheets from Bloomingdales are good enough. :D

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:18 pm

Another: Yves Delorme. I've had good luck with the sales at ABC in New York, and the department stores sales (Printemps, in particular) in Paris...sans VAT as well!

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:22 am

Pratessi, Sferra, Porthault, Frette, Schwabischen Jungfrau, Jesurum, Anichini, Venus Rising, Pierre Frey?

There must be more to this than names.

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:11 pm

There is a linen store on both the Upper East Side (Madison and 84th) and the Upper West Side called Schweitzer Linens. They seem to have a fine selection of many different brands.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:37 am

Materials, workmanship, design, and aesthetics determine the quality of almost any product. Unfortunately, manufacturers rarely provide much objective information that might assist you in judging quality. A brand's reputation provides a starting point. Beyond this, you must trust your senses.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:29 pm

some of the quality can be judged by the thread count.
just think of it as you would a well tailored suit.
good lines, exceptional cloth and style.
  • Information