References for Thomas Mahon?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm

Dear London Lounge,

I am preparing to visit Thomas Mahon for a bespoke suit. However, I first wanted to check to see if anyone on London Lounge has been a client and has any experiences to share, either positive or negative. I am favorably inclined towards Mr. Mahon but I do like doing my homework before parting with my hard-earned sterling.

Thank you,

N

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:38 pm

Dear N,

If what you are seeking is an Anderson & Sheppard style garment, then Mr. Mahon is one of the three or four best tailors cutting in that style available today. He is also one of six tailors who have been admited to thelondonlounge "Certified Artisans Program" and is widely respected by the members who have been fortunate to benefit from his services.

I will leave it to his clients to speak about the specifics of their experiences and answer your questions.

Best regards,

M Alden

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:09 pm

I have something in process with Tom, and from that limited experience can say that he is at least as good as the other prominent ex-A&S independents. I'll know more in a few months.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:28 am

I’ve used Thomas, and I’m quite happy with his work. I will use him again this fall and have referred other people to him. As with everything else in the bespoke world, the more clear the communication with an understanding of the what the expectations are from BOTH parties, the better the process will go.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:59 pm

Tom has also made for me. I would agree that he is one of the best cutters in the A&S tradition (another one of the; being Brian Russell). I have not found him to be soft as Mr. Hitchcock if that is what you are looking for. However, he cuts a leaner and sharper silhouette in my opinion. I would strongly recommend him if you are after the A&S experience.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:02 am

I think the issue of softness deserves a bit of care. Mahon's jackets are, from what I've seen, much softer than Hitchcock's. In fact, he has one coatmaker who will make a jacket with no padding whatever-- just a little wadding in the sleevehead. So mileage will vary on this front. I think it is fair to say, however, that he does favor a slimmer cut than Hitchcock.

Steven Hitchcock makes (or can make on a given day) probably the most built-up jackets of the A&S alumni-- more of a 1930s cut with just a little more padding, room in the chest, roped shoulders, wider lapels with straight edges (hence very separated points) on DB jackets. Not better or worse necessarily, but definitely his own approach. Of the various A&S offshoots, his work is least likely to be confused with that of A&S.

But we shouldn't overrate softness per se. There is a time and a place for everything, and nothing substitutes for a tailor's ability to know how you want to look and feel in a suit.
  • Information