Tropical business suit colors

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
geebee

Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:07 am

Gentlemen:

I live in the Philippines.

I would like to ask if it is a tasteful choice to wear a khaki suit to the office in the tropics? While the usual business suit colors are appropriate, the usual charcoal gray and other dark colors can seem a bit drab in the bright sunlight. It seems to me that in the bright sunlight of the tropics, lighter colored suits are an appropriate option for business. Please correct me if I am wrong.

How light can you go? Would a sky blue suit also be acceptable?

Many thanks

GeeBee
Concordia

Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:16 am

Depends on the local culture. My guess is that former British colonies might favor darker suits for work, but there is unlikely to be a single rule.
geebee

Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:22 pm

Concordia wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:16 am
Depends on the local culture. My guess is that former British colonies might favor darker suits for work, but there is unlikely to be a single rule.
Thank you for your answer. I guess in the end it is up to me decide.
Concordia

Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:31 am

May depend on your industry, your firm's culture-- and whether you are the ones dishing out or asking for money at a particular time.
majestatis626

Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:18 am

With the exception of a business dinner, dark suiting seems hors contexte. A light grey fresco should hit the spot. Too light a blue can appear fashion forward. I personally find that blues don't look as rich in lighter fabrics, especially the brighter hues. A classic khaki suit in a smart cut (not rumpled linen) sounds more appropriate and professional for your environment than a very bright blue. Rock the iconic solaro if you dare.
  • Information