Overcoat length

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Scot

Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:46 pm

I have an Ulster style overcoat in the works. Simple question: how long should it be? The modern trend with overcoats, like suit coats, seems to be to have them far too short. My preference is probably an inch or two below the knee (I am 5'9" tall). I welcome your thoughts.
Concordia

Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:06 pm

My own thought is somewhere around the knee. Some styles like to whoosh around a bit and can be longer.

I'm still debating what sort of coat would make sense noticeably shorter. There is the tradition of a "car coat", but cars these days have roofs and I run warm. So if it is cold enough to justify a coat, I'm not sure I'd get a short one to wear over a suit. Less formally, there are the field coats from Chrysalis, Barbour, et al..
davidhuh

Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:28 pm

Dear Scot,

I agree with Concordia, "somewhere around the knee". Where exactly does not only depend on your full size, but also on your proportions. Suggest that you try and play a bit with your tailor.

Another consideration would be how protective you want it to be against rain and wind.

Cheers, David
alden

Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:57 pm

Hi Scot,

Great responses from Concordia and David.

I wear my coats an inch above the knee. My legs are a bit shorter than my torso, so to be in good aesthetic balance 1" works well. I am 6' 3" so I have to watch out going too short (as much as I would like to, or as much as my 5'5" tailor suggests.)

A tall man can wear a coat that is a bit too long and get away with it, something a shorter man cannot do. .At 5' 9" it will be hard for you to make a mistake, as long as your legs/torso balance is accounted for well.

Cheers
andy57

Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:49 pm

My preference is mid-calf, especially for a greatcoat or a polo.
Nem500

Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 pm

It depends on the type of coat of course. I love a long, flowing coat. For a DB overcoat like a guards or polo my preference is just below the knee. A topcoat seems to work better just above the knee as does a balmacaan. A few inches here and there won’t affect the balance hugely so there’s plenty of room for personal preference.
Augustine1001

Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:11 am

My personal preference is couple inches below the knee as well
Anikolov1

Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:08 am

Concordia wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:06 pm
My own thought is somewhere around the knee. Some styles like to whoosh around a bit and can be longer.

I'm still debating what sort of coat would make sense noticeably shorter. There is the tradition of a "car coat", but cars these days have roofs and I run warm. So if it is cold enough to justify a coat, I'm not sure I'd get a short one to wear over a suit. Less formally, there are the field coats from Chrysalis, Barbour, et al..
A pea coat would for me. Something like this :
https://www.instagram.com/p/CmwP27AMcLb ... BiNWFlZA==
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5MmSILIzS ... BiNWFlZA==
  • Information