Suitcase

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
snapper

Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:54 am

Gentleman,
What company would you recommend please for an old style suitcase ? Possibly good quality leather with metal protected corners, leather retaining straps on the outside. Generally as per the 40's type design but made from modern materials.

Many thanks,
Snapper
Anikolov1

Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:39 am

Globe Trotter
andy57

Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:47 pm

My thought was Globetrotter, too. Also Louis Vuitton, Goyard, and maybe some other brands still make vintage-style suitcases.

But, if you want an actual 1940s suitcase, search for a vintage one. eBay, 1stDibs, Chairish are good places to start. There are also places that specialize in vintage luggage.
davidhuh

Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:23 pm

Globetrotter, what else 8)
Cheers, David
snapper

Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:11 am

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your replies. I have already started looking into Globetrotter and will now search your other recommendations.
Your help is appreciated.

Regards Snapper
Melcombe

Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:43 pm

I have accumulated several GT cases down the years and like them very much. They are very practical, the fibreboard being very light yet tough - and a fraction of the weight of a leather equivalent.

One word of warning however, even the very best cases won't stand up to the mistreatment that the world's baggage handlers will mete out. My older brother often uses a large Peli case with wheels as hold luggage - I think some airport staff view it as a personal challenge of some kind: the scratching is impressive, but the case is still intact. Pelis are heavy though.

There is a 1970's model of GT case that was designed to go under the seats of BOAC airliners, if you can find one - they at least comply with most modern carry-on luggage restrictions.
andy57

Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:58 pm

Melcombe wrote:
One word of warning however, even the very best cases won't stand up to the mistreatment that the world's baggage handlers will mete out. My older brother often uses a large Peli case with wheels as hold luggage - I think some airport staff view it as a personal challenge of some kind: the scratching is impressive, but the case is still intact. Pelis are heavy though.
That's a good point. I've always been skeptical of a Globetrotter's durability in this present age of air travel. I use Rimowa cases and they certainly show how much abuse they've endured during the loading and unloading process. My wife prefers, and uses, Briggs & Riley soft-sided cases which are similarly bulletproof and do not show the dings and dents that my Rimowas do.
davidhuh

Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:40 pm

Melcombe wrote:
Dear Melcombe,

This is an issue, true. But I get them repaired and patched if need. The GT repair service is top notch. I gave up on Rimowa for their poor repair service years ago..

Cheers, David
Concordia

Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:08 am

Briggs and Riley are much better reputed for durability and repair service. But that is a different aesthetic.
  • Information