Dark Navy Linen suit and blazer

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Anikolov1

Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 am

Dear members,
Could you share your experience and views on a dark navy linen suit meant for a work environment. Do you think it can look good as a business suit or would simply be out of place in an office environment?
On the other hand, could dark navy linen work as a summer blazer or odd jacket with brown horn buttons and patch pockets?

My question is motivated by a 40+ degrees summer working environment In which almost anything is simply unbearable. I don’t intend the linen to replace a high twist cloth, just wondering whether it could work?

(P.S. I am truly grateful for the LL environment. I have nobody in my real life to discuss any sartorial matters and so the comments and knowledge here are vastly important, especially since I am relatively young.)
Best and hope you are keeping safe,
Alex
alden

Thu May 07, 2020 12:16 pm

You will know your office environment and its requirements best. A linen suit would, generally speaking, be inappropriate in very conservative businesses. These days, however, and in most business situations, a well kept linen suit would be just fine.

Italians have been wearing dark blue linen jackets with brown buttons and patch pockets for a good long while and to good effect.
But most men will look better in a navy blue.

It also depends on the linen you wear. If you choose stout Irish linen like the LL linen it will wrinkle just a little bit and maintain a crisp appearance. If you try a lightweight linen that goes to hell with wrinkles, you'll look like something the cat dragged in.. :D

In 40C degree weather there is no comfortable solution. But a tropical worsted like the LL Piuma is often the best choice. A heavy Irish linen will wear warmer.

Cheers
Anikolov1

Thu May 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Dear Michael,
Thank you very much for your input.
I would never have considered anything less than the LL Linen or for lack of it W bill as an alternative (13-14oz). I have a few pairs of W bill linen trousers and would never opt for a lightweight linen again.

Thank you very much for suggesting that a lightweight high-twist will be cooler to wear than heavy linens, I will keep that in mind for summer commissions.

I am really looking forward to ordering some LL linens but the mill should reopen and answer my inquiries, hopefully in the next month or so. I doubt that I will be able to commission anything this summer due to travel restrictions and I am still perfecting patterns, so can’t order without meeting with artisans.

Best,
Alex
davidhuh

Thu May 07, 2020 11:37 pm

Anikolov1 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:09 am
Dear members,
Could you share your experience and views on a dark navy linen suit meant for a work environment. Do you think it can look good as a business suit or would simply be out of place in an office environment?
On the other hand, could dark navy linen work as a summer blazer or odd jacket with brown horn buttons and patch pockets?

My question is motivated by a 40+ degrees summer working environment In which almost anything is simply unbearable. I don’t intend the linen to replace a high twist cloth, just wondering whether it could work?

Alex
Dear Alex,

as Michael already said - it depends. You don't say anything about YOUR work environment and the country/city where you mostly work. If you are a business lawyer or a banker, it might not work. But in most other situations, it does.

A summer blazer with dark brown horn buttons goes down very well - I have several of them, in linen, Piuma, Brisa and the old Rangoon. If you go for linen, avoid the light versions and go for a heavier quality. The weaving in heavier qualities is most times less tight, so it falls better, and wrinkles less. Make sure the cut is loose, and gives you room, avoid lining except for the arms, wear a linen shirt, play a little with different tie textures and here you go with a multipurpose suit that will adapt to many occasions.

Cheers, David
Scot

Fri May 08, 2020 10:34 am

LL Mohair impossible to beat for warm weather business wear :)
  • Information