Navy Or Midnight Blue Tie With A Navy Suit

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
loarbmhs

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 am

Am about to get some grenadine ties from Sam Hober. Two choices in the blue category: either what they call "soft" navy blue or a midnight blue.

If I were to pair the tie with a navy suit and go for a monochromatic look, which tie color would you choose? Not sure if it's better for the suit/tie to be obviously different in their blues or as close to each other as possible—i.e., if the former would look better because it's less "matchy matchy," or look worse because it might be seen as someone trying to do the same blues and failing.

Would love to get your thoughts on these two choices, or if you'd opt for a third option: Steer clear of the monochromatic look all together and if you buy either tie, just wear it with a charcoal or mid-gray suit and be done with it.

Thanks!
Luca

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Monochromatic can look very sharp but it can also look cheap, so beware. Between those two choices, my inclination would be for the tie to be a bit darker than the suit, so the midnight blue in your case.
Concordia

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:04 pm

I agree, but there is no harm in going both ways on this one.
alden

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 pm

https://vimeo.com/261611927

Take a look at Astaire's dress in this show at about 10:57 when he sings the great Irving Berlin's " Change Partners." I like this monochromatic look between shirt and tie in his dress. It is the quintessence of understated masculine elegance in my view.

My point is that it is more important to get the shirt and tie combination dialed in as a first step, just the right amount of contrast or, as in Astaire's example, no contrast. Then you can wear almost any shade of blue with your blue suit.

Experiment with reducing contrast in your dress. It's not easy but if you can do it well, it will confer an easy sophisticated grace to your look. And after awhile high contrast dressing will feel like shouting in an enclosed space to you.

Oh and Astaire's sky blue socks and brown silk hanky worn with brown suede shoes get major style points too.

Buy all the sky blue socks you can find. :) I do. 8) :lol:

Cheers
loarbmhs

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:24 am

Thanks very much. Sage and unexpected advice. Love the comment about feeling like you're shouting when you wear high-contrast outfits.
  • Information