A Mad Men Cocktail Party

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Christian Gentleman

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:50 pm

I would like advise on what to a cocktail attire - the theme is Mad Men. I was told to dress in cocktail attire from the late 50's, 60's, or early 70's. This will be my first cocktail party and I want to do it right. I was thinking of Mr. Bogart with the white dinner jacket and black trousers? I would also like advice on what cologne to wear, dances that maybe perform at the party, how to drink and carry on a conversation, etc?

Thank you!

P.S. If there are do's and don't s, I would greatly appreciate the advice.
alden

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:23 am

:lol:

I would Rat Pack, dark gray suit, thin lapels, white shirt, narrow dark tie, black shoes, white linen hanky.

Do not use any cologne, instead chop wood for an hour before, cool down and put on your suit. Musk was popular in the 50s and 60s.

No dancing unless it is a slow one with the prettiest thing. Drink whiskey, and talk about your last ski trip to St. Moritz.

Good luck.

Cheers
hectorm

Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Christian Gentleman wrote: I was thinking of Mr. Bogart with the white dinner jacket and black trousers?
Mad Men theme? Late 50s to early 70s?
I´m afraid the other guests will think you´re the waiter.

PS: I beg your pardon if the OP was meant to be a joke and I didn´t get it. I´m a bit stressed out with the elections tomorrow!
culverwood

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:21 pm

I have some great brown patterned ties from then which would be great for such a theme passed on to me by my father-in-law. If you can find an orange, brown and yellow striped shirt that would do nicely.
Scot

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:43 pm

A mad men theme surely requires a straight jacket :?
  • Information