Grey Shirts

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Melcombe

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:06 pm

My dear late father always suggested that grey shirts were the height of sophistication. I never really took that idea on board when much younger since my school uniform to age 13 included a grey cotton flannel shirt (Clydella, I think they were called). For similar reasons Ive always felt ill at ease with corduroy shorts (conkers in pockets of course) and jumpers with knitted stand-and-fall collars.

I do however love a bargain - don't we all? - so in Ede & Ravenscroft's sale I acquired a grey end-on-end shirt, which is in itself a lovely piece of chemiserie.

But it doesn't really go with anything in the line of a plain charcoal or navy suit. Or at least to my mind it doesn't. Even ties are tricky : green or black are ok, but anything blue or red seems odd.

This is all quite strange. Am I in need of an eye test - or a sartorial preference bypass op? I can't say on reflection I've seen too many plain grey shirts in shop windows or being worn, so maybe others find the same?

I think Dad's views might have referred to what was current around mid 20th C, but thinking about it, I never actually saw him wearing one either..

Is a grey shirt the equivalent to a car with yellow paintwork - nice concept with dire reality - or should I just get over myself?
hectorm

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Melcombe wrote: My dear late father always suggested that grey shirts were the height of sophistication. ..But it doesn't really go with anything in the line of a plain charcoal or navy suit. Or at least to my mind it doesn't. I can't say on reflection I've seen too many plain grey shirts in shop windows or being worn, so maybe others find the same?
Sophisticated or not, I have not found a wide role for plain grey dress shirts in my wardrobe and I currently own only a couple of them. Both RTW (now that I think of it I realize that I have never commissioned one custom made shirt in that color).
Having experimented in the past, I have now narrowed the jobs of these grey shirts to much defined functions. One of these shirts is a rather heavy Oxford button down which I find a good correspondence for my light grey/dark grey herringbone tweed sack jacket and flannels or black wide wale cords. In this case the good match is a solid black grenadine or knit necktie. The other shirt -in a more delicate cotton- I think very appropriate to wear with my charcoal suit and some foulard-patterned black background necktie. Not a very uplifting combination but a useful one especially when travelling since it makes a good transition from business to night outings.
rodes

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 pm

I have one, a pale, end-on-end with white spread collar and like it. Tend to wear it with a dark blue suit, especially the one navy chalk stripe that I own. Indeed I commissioned the shirt mainly for wear with this suit. I really like the suit but, find it non-versatile with shirts (and ties), really looking smart only with plain white. The plan worked.
Concordia

Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:48 pm

The closest I'd want to get is a pale grey grid or hairline stripe on white. It might be an interesting mix with a French blue suit. Bonfanti has a few.

Even there, I'd want to be quite sure about what I'd do with it. Whereas nearly any sort of blue I'd find an obvious use for.
hectorm

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:59 pm

rodes wrote: Tend to wear it with a dark blue suit, especially the one navy chalk stripe that I own.... I really like the suit but, find it non-versatile with shirts (and ties), really looking smart only with plain white.
It´s true that any shirt other than a bright white one changes the nature of a blue chalk stripe suit. Even wearing an ivory white shirt would really tone it down a couple of notches.
But that doesn´t mean the suit cannot be somewhat versatile. Wearing it with a light blue shirt makes me feel more relaxed and less board room. I have also worn it successfully with a gingham shirt on days off just for city strolling.
davidhuh

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Melcombe wrote:
But it doesn't really go with anything in the line of a plain charcoal or navy suit. Or at least to my mind it doesn't. Even ties are tricky : green or black are ok, but anything blue or red seems odd.
Dear David,

I have my 3 shades of grey :shock: (linen shirts, no worries) - they work with navy and burgundy. I don't wear them very often though and will hardly extend the selection... I have to think too hard to make it work, which is not a good sign.

Cheers, David
J.S. Groot

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:50 pm

(Light) gray shirts pop up quite frequently in old Apparel Arts/Esquire drawings - along with a host of other colours that are rarely seen today (including green and brown).

Although I would be vary of solid gray shirting, I see no reason why patterned gray shirts shouldn't work well with a variety of suits and jackets. When they appear in the drawings of old, if my memory serves, they are often combined with garments in brown and tan shades. Green seems a like a well suited candidate too, especially given how green and blue is often not the best match.

Of course, the conceptual level of AA/Esq is one thing. Putting it into practice is something else entirely. I've just commissioned a shirt in a light gray POW poplin. Admittedly, it is my first, however, I plan to get a lot of use from it as gray generally agrees with me. We'll see.
Concordia

Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:30 pm

If nothing else, you won't have to wash it very often. :D
davidhuh

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 pm

Concordia wrote:If nothing else, you won't have to wash it very often. :D
:lol: :lol:
hectorm

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:40 pm

J.S. Groot wrote: I see no reason why patterned gray shirts shouldn't work well with a variety of suits and jackets... Putting it into practice is something else entirely.
Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to drop by Charvet and venture up the elevator into the 3rd. floor. Although a clear minority compared with whites or blues, the array of available grey shirting is still mind boggling. At least 30-40 bolts (yes, bolts, not swatches) of just the most beautiful shades and patterns in grey. Browsing through that treasure it´s impossible not to fall in love with some of these fabrics and into the trap of selecting something extraordinary that will be difficult to match with your jackets. I saw some examples of which I wouldn´t mind to have the shirt first and find the jacket later....
Melcombe

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:53 pm

hectorm wrote:
J.S. Groot wrote: I see no reason why patterned gray shirts shouldn't work well with a variety of suits and jackets... Putting it into practice is something else entirely.
Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to drop by Charvet and venture up the elevator into the 3rd. floor. Although a clear minority compared with whites or blues, the array of available grey shirting is still mind boggling. At least 30-40 bolts (yes, bolts, not swatches) of just the most beautiful shades and patterns in grey. Browsing through that treasure it´s impossible not to fall in love with some of these fabrics and into the trap of selecting something extraordinary that will be difficult to match with your jackets. I saw some examples of which I wouldn´t mind to have the shirt first and find the jacket later....
I quite understand that line of thought : my grey shirt is lovely in itself - the end on end fabric is very even (I dont like the slubby e-o-e you often see), lustrous and comfortable. Then you try it with a blue coat. Then a grey. Then despair begins to settle...

I think I have found the optimum companion - in my brown herringbone (thornproof) tweed. Just about enough contrast in colour and texture, plus a green grenadine tie. And then it just about scrapes home.

Lesson learnt : there's a reason you never find good white shirts in the sale : they - unlike the contents of the sale rail - DO go with everything.
Luca

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:31 am

Melcombe wrote: my grey shirt is lovely in itself ...Then you try it with a blue coat. Then a grey. Then despair begins to settle...
Somewhat off-topic but this is what I have found with a lot of "great-looking" ties and pocket squares.
Frederic Leighton

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:52 am

hectorm wrote:[...] At least 30-40 bolts (yes, bolts, not swatches) of just the most beautiful shades and patterns in grey. Browsing through that treasure it´s impossible not to fall in love with some of these fabrics and into the trap of selecting something extraordinary that will be difficult to match with your jackets. [...]
You are an aesthete, Hectorm! :D
I think I feel the same in museums, libraries and at cheese counters.
Melcombe wrote:[...] my grey shirt is lovely in itself - the end on end fabric is very even (I dont like the slubby e-o-e you often see), lustrous and comfortable. Then you try it with a blue coat. Then a grey. Then despair begins to settle... I think I have found the optimum companion - in my brown herringbone (thornproof) tweed. [...]
Melcombe, I have seen grey shirts in the very even, lustrous fabric you describe (although not end-on-end) successfully paired with a stroller ensemble. Very fine self-herringbone and Bengal stripes, the latter with white collar and cuffs. Grey shirts could come handy when exploring the mysterious and magical land of Morning Trousers.
Luca wrote:Somewhat off-topic but this is what I have found with a lot of "great-looking" ties and pocket squares.
I can relate to this, Luca. Since the arrival of my new linen pocket square - improved size compared to the first one - all my other pocket squares have reached retirement. Then I pull the drawer to pick a tie and can't help but observe how happy I would be with 18 identical b/w-houndstooth silk ties.
hectorm

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Melcombe wrote: There's a reason you never find good white shirts in the sale : they - unlike the contents of the sale rail - DO go with everything.
White shirts may go with everything .....side by side jackets and ties on the counter.
But not with a pale face that needs to be illuminated and invigorated. :?
rodes

Thu May 07, 2015 2:11 pm

The more I think on this question, the more sense the grey shirt seems to make. I would even go so far as to advise a man who wears a coat and tie every day to have at least one. It is a smart and acceptable alternative for the white. Every one who wears a suit daily probably has at least one, perhaps two, in dark blue. With this suit the pale grey is quite stylish.
  • Information