Matching waistcoat and trousers.

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
joey stapleton

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 pm

When wearing waistcoat and trousers is it best if they are of the same colour or can you mix and match?
rodes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Joey, My opinion, likely not worth much on this issue, is that the trousers and waistcoat should not match except in those cases where coat, trousers and waistcoat are all the same. Matching the trousers and waistcoat with an odd coat looks dated to my eye. The odd vest looks dated as well, but for some reason I really like it, either with a suit or a sporting ensemble.
salsatron

Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:40 pm

My normal outfit at work consists of white shirt, cream or tan trousers, tie and a navy waistcoat (the jacket colour is almost irrelevant as I always take it off at work). Personally, I don't like having my waistcoat match anything else (unless it's a dinner suit, or perhaps a matching flat cap). If you wear just the trousers and waistcoat and they match, it looks a bit incomplete, and I don't think the overall image is framed right with your shirt sleeves sticking out. A three-piece worn with the jacket looks too monolithic to me. I think wearing an odd waistcoat can be a bit daunting for some, it can end up looking a little showy if done poorly, but I certainly enjoy it!
  • Information