manbags?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
akubra

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 am

wondered what the general consensus is on manbags.. still cant bring myself to buy one.
If I do, where might a find something that dosnt make me look like a girl.
alexeberlin

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 pm

I am not keen on them, for the reason which I infer from your question.They look like girls bags.
However a colleague of mine swears by his- he received some mild ribbing about it, but silenced it by pointing out "this is Jack Bauer's bag".
The item in question was Ralph Lauren I believe.
For that price I'll stick with my non-trendy attache case.

http://thejacksack.com/2010/01/24-seaso ... r-bag.html
Simon A

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 am

A leather folio will hold mobile phone, keys, pen/paper, comb etc., and still look masculine.
Edward Bainbridge

Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:05 am

Cartridge bag. Still doesn't look excessively manly, if you ask me, in particular with city clothes. But depending on the model, it might be worthwhile, er, giving one a shot.
rogiercreemers

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 pm

I use a Brady Ariel bag for wallets, keys, etc., informally. Formally, I'd advise an attaché case.
DD MacDonald

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:05 pm

I wouldn't do a catrtidge bag per se, they are purpose built for the field and, if anything, will look more like a purse. Musette bags or satchels are probably the most appropriate, the trick is finding the right size which is smaller rather than larger.

Years ago I bought an Ali Capellino satchel at the Tate Modern and can report that they are carrying the bag again: http://www.tate.org.uk/shop/do/Art-Mate ... duct/25120.

It's worth a look. The size is right and the design very simple and without extraneous detail which dooms so many bags for men.

Tusting and Filson also make some bags which work but don't have the simplicity of the Ali Capellino bag.

I will say one thing, there is a useful zipped pocket under the main flap that has a large patch with "Ali Capellino for the Tate" (or something to that effect). I did not care for the detail and can report that the patch is sewn on and can be removed with a seam ripper or a pocket knife.

DDM
Berwick

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:31 pm

I have a Beretta CAMPIGLIA BS16 0199 all-purpose shoulder cartridge bag in brown leather, although the Brady Ariel fishing bags are nice too.

I need something to put my A to Z, mobile phone, wallet, pen knife, notebook and keys in when I go into London at the weekend. Also good for dog treats and map when walking in the country. A briefcase is not casual enough and is too big. Pockets are too small to take everything required and still look good. The bag looks good with my tweed overcoat or a leather jacket. I really don't understand how people can consider them "girly".
NJS

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Berwick wrote:I have a Beretta CAMPIGLIA BS16 0199 all-purpose shoulder cartridge bag in brown leather, although the Brady Ariel fishing bags are nice too.

I need som
ething to put my A to Z, mobile phone, wallet, pen knife, notebook and keys in when I go into London at the weekend. Also good for dog treats and map when walking in the country. A briefcase is not casual enough and is too big. Pockets are too small to take everything required and still look good. The bag looks good with my tweed overcoat or a leather jacket. I really don't understand how people can consider them "girly".

I don't think that they had a Beretta cartridge bag in mind, somehow!! :lol:

NJS
DD MacDonald

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:49 pm

Berwick wrote:I have a Beretta CAMPIGLIA BS16 0199 all-purpose shoulder cartridge bag in brown leather, although the Brady Ariel fishing bags are nice too.

I need something to put my A to Z, mobile phone, wallet, pen knife, notebook and keys in when I go into London at the weekend. Also good for dog treats and map when walking in the country. A briefcase is not casual enough and is too big. Pockets are too small to take everything required and still look good. The bag looks good with my tweed overcoat or a leather jacket. I really don't understand how people can consider them "girly".
I took a look at the campiglia bag online, it looks like the right approach, though I would not call it a cartridge bag. Bill Amberg used to make what he called a truffle-hunter bag, or similar, that looked very good.
Azdak

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:58 pm

I am very pleased with the Brady Ariel fishing bag I got following a recommendation on this site. The optional pop-in pocket is also useful.
Edward Bainbridge

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 am

My personal impression is that the default options don't work well. Small bags such as cartridge bags tend to look effeminate, and larger bags such as fishing bags make you look like a bike courier or a college student at best. Attache cases aren't practical because they occupy a hand, and they're very businesslike, which is fine for business but can be awkward in other situations.

I really haven't a solution to this old problem, other than

- think twice about what you really need to take
- minimalise the stuff you do need (buy a flatter phone next time, leave the 20 keys of the west wing at home when you go up to London, who needs coins when you can pay a box of matches by credit card, how many cards do you need if you're not planning to drop by anyone)
- wear a jacket even in the warmer season
- if you're going with your wife, ask her if she'd mind putting some of it in her bag
Frederic Leighton

Sat May 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Berwick wrote:I need something to put my A to Z, mobile phone, wallet, pen knife, notebook and keys in [...]
Fossil calls it an Estate Document Bag. It comes in three different colours of leather. I chose cognac. Price £189. Few internal pockets of the right size and in the right place; one is external and hidden. Well made, just slightly bigger than A4, lightweight, style in the middle between office and sport... I don't work in an office, I don't like sport.
YoungLawyer

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 pm

I've been meaning to commission something similar to this satchel from Gizzi (http://www.gizzi-leather.com/leather_sa ... le_09.html), and this seems suitably versatile, doesn't it? I've the complication of trying to find something that is also compatible with cycling, and a satchel, not in contact with one's back, is much more practical than a rucksack - and if a second strap is added to the shoulder strap, it can't swing from side to side as unexpectedly, which might be dangerous (e.g. this messenger bag: http://www.pashleycollection.co.uk/prod ... spatch-Bag which is a good casual bag, but too small for a laptop).
Melcombe

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:32 pm

The trouble with man bags (unless you are a media type and aged under 25) is the strap.

Who would willingly murder a beautifully crafted jacket shoulder with the heavy application of a webbing or leather strap?

If a briefcase is just too much, what about a folio? - the old fashioned sort that zip along the top or 2 sides, but otherwise a simple envelope of bridle leather to tuck under the arm?

I have rediscovered mine since acquiring a MB Air which fits in it beautifully with space for phone, wallet, car key, headphones and (on a quiet news day) a copy of the FT.

If you can't find one that suits your taste - design your own and speak to the splendid Henry Tomkins of Exeter (htleather.co.uk) maker of the best 'no-nonsense' leather goods I've come across (as distinct from the eye-wateringly expensive type that shouldn't venture much beyond St James's...). His leather grip bags are also superb.

Regards

David
theoldesouth

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:03 am

No hesitation here to wear a manbag. Wallet, keys, phone, sunglasses, reading glasses,...much too much to carry in one's pockets.

I just look for something that serves the purpose and looks smart. Can be a bit of a challenge, though, finding a bag versatile enough to wear with casual wear and also use on dressier occasions. Suppose there's no reason not to have more than one. :wink:
  • Information