Elegant but not too expensive Cutlery?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:03 am

Okay, one day I will inherit my ancestor's silver cutlery (Or what is left of it... Blame the recession, the war and whatever is still to come) but for now I am looking to buy a nice set of stainless steel cutlery as I am moving into my own place. I don't need a huge set as other than the occasional girlfriend and maybe a friend or two no one ever comes to eat here, my table is much too small for more than 4 people anyway... As some of you know my tastes are quite conservative. I adore longevity, elegance and toughness. I'd found a nice set sold by Villeroy and Boch (which I could easily have my crest engraved onto with my jeweller's new lazer engraving system, it would give me something elegant without having to buy silver cutlery) but this set is 300 Euros... Way out of my budget.

Supermarkets, IKEA and all of those may sometimes sell quality but their cutlery is just too simplistic or too modern for my tastes. I though perhaps someone here might be able to recommend other brands which cost less and are available in France. I'd say I would like to stay underneath the 200 euro mark if possible. 250 tops... Once again, thank you so much for your help! :)
Last edited by All over the world on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:02 am

Nothing like a dozen friends eating a simple but well-made pasta, with a glass of wine (no two glasses the same), using old disparate tableware (nobody remembers which piece comes from where), sitting in a tiny garconierre on the edge of the bed, on chairs, on the floor, anywhere - having a good time. With the 300 euro you would spend on engraved (?!) tableware, you could have maybe 10 such memorable dinners with friends. Promise them an unforgettable evening and ask them to bring a fork - there is your heirloom silverware with great stories to tell :D
You have plenty of time to spend big money on cutlery later on, when money is less of an issue. Good things come to those who wait, including silverware :wink:
Last edited by Costi on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidhuh

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:03 am

Hello,

suggest one of the following:
- go to a big department store during sales
- check WMF stores
- try ebay

Some silverware manufacturers have a high quality stainless steel range. Scandinavian or German designs would be my favourites.

Good luck, david
davidhuh

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:07 am

Costi wrote:Nothing like a dozen friends eating a simple but well-made pasta, with a glass of wine (no two glasses the same), using old disparate tableware (nobody remembers which piece comes from where), sitting in a tiny garconierre on the edge of the bed, on chairs, on the floor, anywhere - having a good time. With the 300 euro you would spend on engraved (?!) tableware, you could have maybe 10 such memorable dinners with friends. Promise them an unforgettable evening and ask them to bring a fork - there is your heirloom silverware with great stories to tell :D
You have plenty of time to spend big money on cutlery later on, when money is less of an issue. Good things come to those who wait, including silverware :wink:

Excellent suggestion Costi. Mixed tableware can be very charming.

Marketing people try to tell us our home should be equipped like a hotel :roll:

cheers, david
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 am

Costi wrote:Nothing like a dozen friends eating a simple but well-made pasta, with a glass of wine (no two glasses the same), using old disparate tableware (nobody remembers which piece comes from where), sitting in a tiny garconierre on the edge of the bed, on chairs, on the floor, anywhere - having a good time. With the 300 euro you would spend on engraved (?!) tableware, you could have maybe 10 such memorable dinners with friends. Promise them an unforgettable evening and ask them to bring a fork - there is your heirloom silverware with great stories to tell :D
When I have a woman over I want her to be able to drink some good (inexpensive :lol:) wine from my parent's old Crystal Glasses, take some bread from a nice silver tray, eat with a knife and a fork unlike those she sees in restaurants and at everyone else's place, be able to use a 70 year old cotton napkin like they don't make them anymore (No it doesn't look dirty or old, it is well taken care of) instead of a paper towel. It may seem formal or stiff but want to be able to receive friends, family and everyone else in a nice environment which is representative of a certain lifestyle which I can't really afford but follow anyway.
davidhuh wrote:Hello,

suggest one of the following:
- go to a big department store during sales
- check WMF stores
- try ebay

Some silverware manufacturers have a high quality stainless steel range. Scandinavian or German designs would be my favourites.

Good luck, david
I found a French manufacturer called Guy Degrenne, I wonder if their stuff is any good? The german designers are quite expensive.

What is WMF?
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 am

davidhuh wrote:Marketing people try to tell us our home should be equipped like a hotel :roll:

cheers, david
Exactly, very well put! :D

All over - lifestyle does not equal "Grand Hotel" lifesytle, but something else entirely...
See that the nice enviroment you are working on creating does not get too sterile or burdening. That will not inspire your "woman" to anything charming... :wink:
Make it a HOME.

This is WMF: http://www.wmf.com/
davidhuh

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:57 am

All over the world wrote:
I found a French manufacturer called Guy Degrenne, I wonder if their stuff is any good? The german designers are quite expensive.
Hello,

Guy Degrenne is very well known in France. Factory in Normandy, however, the cheaper stuff might be made somewhere North of Hong Kong. So you need to check.

The Germans are not cheap, but made in Germany. Watch out for offers.

But spend some time searching second hand and charity shops. You might be amazed... Also antique dealers usually have lots of old silver, incomplete sets. You get this very cheap.

david
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:01 am

All over the world wrote:I found a French manufacturer called Guy Degrenne, I wonder if their stuff is any good? The german designers are quite expensive.
Looks good to me.
One piece of advice, if I may: don't buy over the internet. Go to a shop and hold the pieces in your hand, check the balance, make sure they are comfortable to hold and use, that you have a good grip on your spoon, fork or knife. It is very annoying to struggle with otherwise beautiful designer tableware, instead of focusing on enjoying the company.
Last edited by Costi on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am

davidhuh wrote:But spend some time searching second hand and charity shops. You might be amazed... Also antique dealers usually have lots of old silver, incomplete sets. You get this very cheap.
Advice heartily seconded! You get good quality, excellent design and balance, a bit of history and patina, solid longevity...
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:10 am

Wow, 500 euros for a nice 24 pieces WMF set. How can steel be that expensive? :shock:
Concordia

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ctblfltplc

Our everyday (and, often, nicer-occasion) flatware.
Costi

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:23 am

All over the world wrote:Wow, 500 euros for a nice 24 pieces WMF set. How can steel be that expensive? :shock:
it's stainless... :wink:
All over the world

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:28 am

Concordia wrote:http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ctblfltplc

Our everyday (and, often, nicer-occasion) flatware.
Thank you for the link Concordia! :D
Costi wrote:
All over the world wrote:Wow, 500 euros for a nice 24 pieces WMF set. How can steel be that expensive? :shock:
it's stainless... :wink:
But not painless...
All over the world

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Gentlemen I think I am going to buy the Villeroy & Boch set, I haven't found anything quite as nice as that. I hope it is well made and will last me a lifetime, after all it should be less fragile than silver. I hope.

I wonder how much it would cost to have it engraved? V&B doesn't do engravings so I guess I will have to ask a jeweller.
Last edited by All over the world on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costi

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:10 pm

What a relief! ;)

I'm afraid it's already engraved, though: it says "Villeroy & Boch" all over. Perhaps you can just add your crown... Or, for the money you'd spend on engraving, ask for a custom set without the company logo. That will already be a big upgrade :)
  • Information