Does anyone else leave the bottom vest button done up?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Russell

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:36 pm

hectorm wrote:
Russell wrote: Here's a dandy who's obviously been reading the wrong advice on the internet....The photo shows a 1950's Prince Phillip - which from a style point of view is happily almost identical to the 2013 version.
In this case the Duke of Edimburgh has not "left" his bottom vest button undone. It simply cannot be done. That´s the way Edward Watson cut the suit. I´m sure it was not a dandy´s request, but just the style English tailors did it in the 50´s (and still today) with that style of vest.
Hectorm,
It seems I should have issued an ‘irony’ warning with my post. :roll:
hectorm

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Russell wrote: The photo shows a 1950's Prince Phillip - which from a style point of view is happily almost identical to the 2013 version.
Dear Russell, sorry some days irony seems to elude me.
In recent years, Prince Philip -who is well known for his thriftiness- has been taking his 1950, 60 and 70´s clothes to John Kent (first at Norton & Sons, and now at Kent, Haste & Lachter on Sackville St.) to be updated in style. Slightly narrowing trousers legs and slimming jackets by expert hand has kept him -still at age 92- on the list of best-dressed men.
Frederic Leighton

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:51 pm

Gabriel wrote:[...] Savile Row tailors tend to make waistcoats in such a way that it is impossible to do up the last button. I take this to be not just a stylistic feature but also a kindness to their customers, so that they will not be caught out. [...]
HERE another example, this time an illustrious one, of all buttons done up, from Malcolm Plews' new website (thank you, andreyb, for the link). 5 buttons all to close is also my go-to configuration for tweed.
hectorm

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Frederic Leighton wrote: ... another example, this time an illustrious one, of all buttons done up, from Malcolm Plews' new website.
Federico, if you look a bit harder in the website you will see several examples of the same Mr. Plews leaving his last buttons undone (morning coat in The Wardrobe section, tattersall vest in The Gallery photos). Mr. Plews also talks about the most popular design for waistcoats: "button five, show six".
In the case of the 3 piece tweed suit, with only 5 to button in such a high stance, I agree that it looks much better with the last button done. No doubt it was cut with the intention of not giving any serious option.
BTW, I love the slant pocket flaps and the postboy (waist seam) on that waistcoat.
Frederic Leighton

Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:27 pm

hectorm wrote:
Frederic Leighton wrote: ... another example, this time an illustrious one, of all buttons done up, from Malcolm Plews' new website.
Federico, if you look a bit harder in the website you will see several examples of the same Mr. Plews leaving his last buttons undone [...]
Dear Hectorm, thank you for your notes. Of course I had explored the entire gallery on the website before commenting here :D I just thought I'd link that photo to this discussion to offer an elegant example of waistcoat with all buttons done up.
Costi

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:37 pm

Russell wrote:That said - I doubt he'd have commented on anyone differing from him or even noticed if they did.
So far, this is the lesson to take home for me from this thread :)
Gabriel

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 am

His Royal Highness sometimes likes to make an extra point!

No, it is not a mistake, as we see here:

I'm not sure this will catch on, but he certainly seems pleased with himself, and with a morning coat, it does look nice how it follows the contours of the coat (in my opinion).
ballmouse

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I imagine it depends on the vest.

In this below image of Sean Connery, it would appear that the bottom button of his vest was meant to be unbuttoned:

• Information