Overcoat closeure

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
snapper

Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:07 pm

Gentlemen,
I am having an overcoat made in a dark blue cloth. I favour a fly front closure and possibly a nod towards a vintage style. In some images the (what I shall call) coat placket appears to end half way down the front of the coat just below the bottom button. In other pictures it runs the full length down to the coat hem. Is there a legitimate and functional reason for the first option? Is the second option quite acceptable and merely a choice of design style ?

Your thoughts and advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Regards Snapper
alden

Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:16 pm

Snapper

The fly fronts I have had use the option 1 closure placket. That seems to be pretty standard. You might ask your tailor for advice on this matter.

If you were to ask my advice I would say no to the fly front. There is nothing more beautiful in bespoke overcoats than great horn buttons and hand sewn buttonholes complimenting the fabric. Almost all my overcoats are made this way with beautiful (difficult to find but available) horn buttons. Don't hide the buttons or buttonholes, flaunt them! 8)

Cheers
davidhuh

Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Dear Snapper,

In principle, I would agree with Michael. However, there is another consideration, at least for me - it depends very much on the cloth..

If the cloth has an interesting pattern, I prefer to hide my horn buttons, because I want to cloth to do the show. If the cloth is monochrome, in a solid colour and neutral, the buttons disrupt the uniformity and add interest.

Cheers, David
snapper

Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:47 am

Thank you both for your replies. Your comments have certainly given me food for thought.

Regards Snapper
  • Information