Moth damage.

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
old henry

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 pm

The collar sets beautifully and effortlessly on a beautiful shirt collar.
Melcombe

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:20 am

I went to collect my re-sleeved coat yesterday and to admire an excellent job - the fresh cloth of the new sleeve is indistinguishable from the rest of the coat.

I then encountered an unanticipated problem. My tailor insisted that he didn't want to be paid for re-making the damaged sleeve, just the cloth. I wasn't going to argue the point overmuch out of not wishing to seem ungrateful in any way - so of course my finger slipped when making the bank transfer, to the tune of a several hours' work.

He'd not yet binned the offending old sleeve, so I caught a photo (apologies for the poor light & workroom fluff) - it doesn't show the discoloured margin at all well, and he'd pulled in a few threads to see how repairable it might have been - but having that blemish in the middle of my right forearm would have been a constant annoyance.

In the meantime I have also been moved to invest in a collection of gusseted cotton suit covers that have a minimal hole for the coat hanger hook, plus moth traps and repellent. In the scheme of things, I suspect that will prove a sound investment.
  • Information