"True Style..."

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
uppercase

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Yes, I think that that is the post about GBB.
Thanks.

Great post, photos and style!
uppercase

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Re-reading the GBB post on PS, I've got to say that it is great.

If GBB wrote a book today using that format : a photo of himself with brief commentary on his clothing choices and thinking behind them, well, I think that would be an instant classic.
The PS post has I think 5 outfits with commentary.
If he added 20 more outfits or so, he would have a fascinating book.

Really, I think an illustration followed by a few pithy words, is all that's needed for me to learn a great deal and get inspired.

No need for a lot of philosophy nor words.

GBB's style, shall we give it a name ?, how about classic rus in urbe (?), anyway…is probably closest to my current sensibility and how I might dress, if I dressed anymore, and what I think of as casual, au courant, yet with panache and character and a classical foundation.

The tweeds, knit and rep ties, suede shoes, and pencil stripe shirts - these are all staples and core, repeating foundation items in GBB's repertoire. Anything can be built around them with elegant, yet casual results. Remarkably unremarkable.

And his philosophy of not wanting to think too much about his clothing nor dressing and get on with his day, well, that is one which I also whole heartedly embrace.

I wouldn't mind seeing Alden put together a book such as this either.

These are guys who have thought about style and clothes for years and years, and this is where they have arrived in 2016.

That's worth something.
  • Information