Ballantyne

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
alden

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:30 pm

To get excited about any car it would have to be pre 70s: Aston Martin, Jag E type, Speedster, Roller...take your pick. I would be happy to have my old TR 3 back, or a MK or a Tiger. Those where the days my friends.

So I am buying a Camelhair zip cardigan from Lockie instead.

Cheers
NJS

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 am

I largely agree on the cars' point but Aston Martin Lagonda (the ONE.77)/ Jaguar (the new F Type), and Bristol (the Fighter T), are still turning out some superb cars.
NJS

What's with the spammer? How did they get in here?
Last edited by NJS on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gido

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

alden wrote:If you are looking for sweaters in the old Ballantyne quality (and maybe better) you can find them at Lockie.
I found out today that they stock Lockie, both wool and cashmere, in a store nearby. I was tempted to buy the 2-ply cashmere, but I understand Lockie also makes a 4-ply version that this store does not stock.

Should I try to find the 4-ply instead (i.e. go online) if I wish for a sweater that will last me decades rather than years? I would like to hear how they compare, please.

By the way, I thought that the colours where splendid.

Cheers,
Gido.
hectorm

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 pm

hectorm wrote: My 4-ply cable-knit crewneck by William Lockie: best cashmere sweater ever, hands down!
Bought while on holidays in Edimbra, I´ve had it for 26 years now and it´s so good that I´ve always disregarded that the sleeves fit me short. :)
Gido wrote: I was tempted to buy the 2-ply cashmere, but I understand Lockie also makes a 4-ply version that this store does not stock. Should I try to find the 4-ply instead (i.e. go online) if I wish for a sweater that will last me decades rather than years? I would like to hear how they compare, please.
Dear Gido,
The big difference between a 2-ply cashmere and a 4-ply one (comparing the same original single yarn from the same manufacturer, in this case an excellent one like Lockie) is not the quality but the weight and warmth. The 2-ply is lighter and generally knit tighter, the 4-ply is heavier and warmer, generally a bit more loosely knit. The 2-ply is great for a V neck worn under a tailored jacket, the 4-ply more adequate for a crew neck under your Barbour. I find the 4-ply ideal for a cable knit.
If you get the chance with Lockie, buy both. :)
Gido

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:12 am

Thank you, Hectorm.
Scot

Sun May 05, 2013 3:27 pm

An interesting if depressing article on ASW on this subject today. A shame since I rcently bought a Scotish made Ballantyne from Berk and the quality was still very good - better, I have to say, than Lockie, but a great deal more expensive. If you want Scottish made Ballantyne's to last you out better sell that car and get to Berk while stocks last :(
Scot

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 am

Berk are down to their last few sweaters. Colour range is limited now but they are all half price!
Scot

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 am

Has anyone tried Berk Cashmere since they left the Burlington Arcade and became a mail order company?

http://www.berkcashmere.co.uk/category. ... sting&id=9

It looks rather good and the description suggests they are aiming for a similar quality to the old Ballantyne.
Concordia

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Seems to have all the same colors (with their idiosyncratic names) as William Lockie. Which is not a bad thing.
andreyb

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 pm

I have it on good authority that the present owners are new ones (bought the name) and quality of their present offerings are not the same as old Ballantyne.

Andrey
alden

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:05 am

One can find the same selection of excellent sweaters here at a fraction of the price

http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_cashm ... prod_ID=35
T.K.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Sorry to squeeze this in but why is it that with the great deal of emphasis that is generally put on a higher waist line, longer bodied sweaters are accepted? Lockie, Smedley, Shetlands, it seems to go for most of them.
Concordia

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:10 pm

They're all competing furiously for my business.
couch

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:19 am

T.K. wrote:Sorry to squeeze this in but why is it that with the great deal of emphasis that is generally put on a higher waist line, longer bodied sweaters are accepted? Lockie, Smedley, Shetlands, it seems to go for most of them.
Concordia wrote:They're all competing furiously for my business.
And not just Concordia's, but most guys who are still wearing low-rise trousers or need to cover surplus assets. I am today wearing a Pringle fully fashioned lambswool jumper with a proper deep V neck that I bought in the first half of the 1980s, and it has a proper (shorter) body length and plenty of length in the arms. The "medium" chest measurement has just enough freedom to move but doesn't bunch under a jacket for a 39-40" chest. Someday it will wear out (though the quality and color are superb) and I will be devastated.

Even the lines that knit skinny sweaters for youth fashionistas make them long in the body. So the choice is between too long and too tight or too long and built for two.

Volume talks, so we get the dregs unless we go bespoke knit. If people find makers that contradict this, I'd love to know. That's why I proposed reviving the Shetland group buy knit-to-spec project the Michael and the LL did once before.
hectorm

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:53 pm

couch wrote:
T.K. wrote: why is it that with the great deal of emphasis that is generally put on a higher waist line, longer bodied sweaters are accepted?
Even the lines that knit skinny sweaters for youth fashionistas make them long in the body. So the choice is between too long and too tight or too long and built for two. Volume talks, so we get the dregs unless we go bespoke knit.
I´m not fond of knitwear with suits. And with tweeds and odd jackets in winter I stick to tailored vests (and -if needed for the cold- a long sleeve undershirt).
Pull-overs I wear with field coats and the cardigans at home by themselves, so there´s not as much conflict as it would be with a jacket that requires a proper waist. Notwithstanding I recognize that invariably those sweaters that fit me in the sleeves -even those from the great manufacturers- are way too baggy and too long in the body. :(
  • Information