Advice sought on a bag for the office

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Costi

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Dangleberry wrote:For those interested, I went with the following bag from a store I stumbled across in Princes Arcade, just off Piccadilly:

http://www.sagebrown.co.uk/index.php?op ... ct_id=2479
Dangleberry, let's hope it's a sage choice... We'll see in about ten years or so. Mine is tan :)

Good bridle, takes on patina nicely.
Quibbles: the plastic zipper on the back pocket (brass would have been nicer, but it would have scratched my macbook every time in and out - that's where I carry it, it fits perfectly!); the brass lock (handsome and solid) is lacquered... :?
Dangleberry

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:57 am

Costi,

I should point out that I actually purchased a older model which doesn't have the zip at the back, so no zips at all, in fact. It isn't on the website as they don't sell that model anymore, but looks the same as the one in the link, excepting the extra zipped pocket at the back.

Furthermore, due to it being an older model I managed to pay less than £200 for the bag. I am extremely happy with it and fully expect it to age beautifully over the coming decades.
Costi

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Excellent deal - better and cheaper!
I liked this model in particular due to the cut - it's one piece of leather that wraps around seamlessly to form the front, bottom and back, all held in place by two side bellows. Only the lid is attached, right behind that back zipper. Just curious - is the lid on yours also a distinct piece of leather stitched to the rest, or does it really wrap around itself three times to create the briefcase? That would be a great design.
Dangleberry

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Costi,

The lid is indeed a separate piece of leather, attached as you suggest. I do agree however, that wrapping around three times would be a great design.

Actually, thinking about it now, surely it would also be easier to make that way? Knowing little about such things could it be that getting the requisite size of leather is trickier?

As an aside, having this bag makes me wonder how I ever used anything else, especially the dire canvas bag I was previously using. That was purely about utility. My leather bag on the other hand, provides a smell and tactile pleasure that gives satisfaction every time I hold it which I trust will develop as it ages with me.
Costi

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Dangleberry wrote:could it be that getting the requisite size of leather is trickier?
Absolutely.
Dangleberry

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm

We need bigger cows.
Costi

Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:18 pm

:lol:
I'll tell the Swiss...
Dangleberry

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 am

Charles, thanks for the suggestions but I have already made my purchase. Maybe for the next one...
  • Information