Cruise Wardrobe - Rome to Monte Carlo - June 2015

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
J.Robie

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Greetings Gents!

I've been asked to join a 7-Day Mediterranean Wine Cruise hosted by a couple winemaker friends of mine in June 2015 … I know tragic, right? Since I have plenty of time between now and then, I'd like to take this opportunity to learn a bit more about creating an edited travel wardrobe that will have a timeless/classic look, a bit fun (resort style), and fit a range of activities … mostly walking, drinking and eating :).

The itinerary will start with a couple days in Rome and include stops in:
Amalfi/Positano, Italy
Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Provence (Marseille), France
Antibes, France
Monte Carlo, Monaco

We're probably going to tack on a couple days before and after the cruise part of the trip, but haven't decided on any additional destinations.

I plan on posting questions to this thread as I start considering things I need to choose or acquire for this trip … and hope to learn from the LL community along the way. I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice you may have on this subject.

Thanks and Cheers!!
J.Robie

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:39 pm

I've been thinking a lot about walking shoes for this trip. I'd like to keep my shoe wardrobe down to 3 pair. For at least one of those, I'm considering a suede/reversed-calf rubber or crepe sole plain toe blucher.

Will on ASW once suggested a pair of white bucks for summer travel. I like this idea, and it would allow me to finally get a nice pair of white bucks. I currently have BB's version and Allen Edmonds wing tip bal in white suede, but I don't think they're going to work for this trip. I haven't seen them around for a while but it looks like a couple retailers have Alden white plain toe bluchers in stock with a rubber/vibram sole. I've always wanted these, so now may be the time?

I'm also considering a pair of plain toe bluchers in medium brown or snuff suede. I've had a hard time finding anything "nice" with a crepe or rubber sole. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on these as well.

I'd also appreciate any other suggestions for a good walking shoe that would pair well with light summer trousers with or without a sport coat.

Thanks!
Luca

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:47 pm

On the topic of shoes (sticking to 3) I would recommend:
1 pair of lightweight loafers in brown pebble-grain. Very versatile.
1 pair of sturdy white canvas deck shoes/All-stars. Useful for anything more athletic in nature and good for any walk short of proper hiking. Also, essentially undamaged by rain / water.
1 pair of dressier, leather-soled shoes; perhaps dark cordovan loafers
As an alternative, if you are the type that does not mind standing out, a good pair of lighter-weight spectators might substitute for the first pair mentioned. White bucks would also do. They, too, will stand out by a mile, in Europe, but they're great.

Clothes-wise, how formal will your activities be? Looking at suits/ties at all?
couch

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 am

If you have time, if Michael has no objection, and if you can get Tony and Dean to make up another pair of these, (LL ivory bucks with brown crepe sole) or these (LL limited edition adelaide spectators by G&G) you'll be set, and in far superior style . . . .
J.Robie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Luca wrote:On the topic of shoes (sticking to 3) I would recommend:
1 pair of lightweight loafers in brown pebble-grain. Very versatile.
1 pair of sturdy white canvas deck shoes/All-stars. Useful for anything more athletic in nature and good for any walk short of proper hiking. Also, essentially undamaged by rain / water.
1 pair of dressier, leather-soled shoes; perhaps dark cordovan loafers
As an alternative, if you are the type that does not mind standing out, a good pair of lighter-weight spectators might substitute for the first pair mentioned. White bucks would also do. They, too, will stand out by a mile, in Europe, but they're great.

Clothes-wise, how formal will your activities be? Looking at suits/ties at all?
Thanks for the advice Luca! Clothes-wise, I was thinking 3 odd jackets in a summer cloth and 3-4 trousers in linen or open weave wool; or 1 odd jacket and 2 summer suits that can be broken up. Ties will probably only be seen at a dinner or two. I think all of the activities really require no more than chinos and a polo or sport shirt, but I like to step it up a bit … preferring nicely cut trousers and a sport coat, or a casual suit. I think the dress code on-board was described as "Resort Wear" and the only rule was no jeans or shorts for the nicer restaurants on ship.

I'm not too concerned about standing out, except maybe in Barcelona :)
J.Robie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:38 pm

couch wrote:If you have time, if Michael has no objection, and if you can get Tony and Dean to make up another pair of these, (LL ivory bucks with brown crepe sole) or these (LL limited edition adelaide spectators by G&G) you'll be set, and in far superior style . . . .
Thanks couch! Those are very nice! I'm thinking a blucher might be better as I don't want to be too formal. I want something that would pair well with say linen trousers and an odd jacket or suit … still keeping with a relatively casual dress shoe. I will be doing a considerable amount of walking, so I think a rubber or crepe sole is a must, but no sneakers or sport shoes. Most of what I've seen on the market is blobby or boot like. The search continues…
  • Information