Rubber Sole Recommendations

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
hectorm

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Kayak81 wrote: He also suggested a bellows tongue to help keep water out.
I think a "bellows tongue" -adequate for heavier boots or hiking shoes- is a bit of an overkill for a pair of street shoes. I would definitely recommend against them in a pair of oxfords. In an open laced derby, that kind of tongue could be more relevant if you’re thinking of doing some serious puddle wading :) but be aware there will be an extra fold of material pressing your foot.
uppercase

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Marble floors are certainly dangerous and I can tell you that the idiotic marble/ceramic floors in the Dubai malls and elsewhere when walked upon in EG leather soles with their infernal brass nails are ridiculous.

I just can't understand why no shoemaker seems to understand that. It's absurd.

My surest soles are Sperry boating soles but that's another category altogether.
Rob O

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Sperry shoes are definitely the best for grip. Strangely I don't find my Dainite soles in the least slippery, they have almost too much traction, as I am used to wearing leather soled shoes most of the time. Maybe it's because they haven't worn down sufficiently yet.
uppercase

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:15 am

I don't know. …
I've got just one dainite sole - on a brooks bros. Peal ankle boot.
Slip all over the damn place when it's even slightly icy.
Maybe they're not meant for ice.…?
I have better luck in sorrels and ll beans of course but that's not work-wear stuff; still, would have expected better grip from dainite.
Anyway…still better than leather in the slush.

Btw, why does anyone wear $1,000 shoes in the slush mud and snow? Can't figure that one out. They're beautiful but not workable for those conditions. I even hate to wear leather shoes in the rain.
Kayak81

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 am

Concordia wrote:Is this the Cleverley reindeer? Amazing, stuff that is.
I'm getting them from G&G. Tony said he gets the reindeer from a tannery in Cornwall.

hectorm wrote:
Kayak81 wrote: He also suggested a bellows tongue to help keep water out.
I think a "bellows tongue" -adequate for heavier boots or hiking shoes- is a bit of an overkill for a pair of street shoes. I would definitely recommend against them in a pair of oxfords. In an open laced derby, that kind of tongue could be more relevant if you’re thinking of doing some serious puddle wading :) but be aware there will be an extra fold of material pressing your foot.
They'll be a pair of ankle-height derbies. I had been concerned about the material pressing against my foot with the bellows tongue, but Tony said he could use a lighter weight fabric for the bellows part. I'm not exactly planning on doing serious puddle wading in these boots, but I do plan to wear them with a suit in inclement weather and use them as go-anywhere boots when on vacation (e.g. walking through snow/slush on city sidewalks & streets, country walks & cobblestone streets in wet weather, shuttling between business meetings during a London downpour, etc.). I don't plan to deliberately seek out the puddles, but I don't want to be scared to walk through them either. Does this make sense?
uppercase wrote: Btw, why does anyone wear $1,000 shoes in the slush mud and snow? Can't figure that one out. They're beautiful but not workable for those conditions. I even hate to wear leather shoes in the rain.
Me too. I'm hoping that the combination of the reindeer upper and still-to-be-determined rubber sole will make these boots workable in these conditions.
Melcombe

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 pm

uppercase wrote: Btw, why does anyone wear $1,000 shoes in the slush mud and snow? Can't figure that one out. They're beautiful but not workable for those conditions. I even hate to wear leather shoes in the rain.
Agreed.

I have several pairs from Hoggs of Fife, whose range tends towards meeting the requirements of Scottish weather conditions. Leather or rubber soles used to be options on several models. I did get a very heavy pair of their old pattern plain black Derbys with a leather sole.

A particular feature of these was pronounced pre-set curve or roll in the sole. They are so substantial, you'd've spend a year or 2 flexing them into shape without this. When I (eventually) needed to resole them, I unhesitatingly put commando soles on them and have been delighted with the outcome.

They are my "formal" shoe of choice when it's chucking it down in wintertime - Ive never had a comment suggesting that with a cleated sole they look at all 'agricultural' (to my face, anyhow...!)
hectorm

Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Kayak81 wrote: I had been concerned about the material pressing against my foot with the bellows tongue, but Tony said he could use a lighter weight fabric for the bellows part.
If Tony Gaziano says that, and since it´s a Derby, I would be confident to give the bellows tongue a go.
VRaivio

Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Allow me to recommend Vibram's Eton rubber sole. It looks like Dainite, but wears longer and has better grip on wet indoors as well as ice. The rubber mix is softer but doesn't have that clacking sound leather or Dainite heels offer.
  • Information