Sulka

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Melcombe

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Over the years, I've come across a few Sulka items and have always been impressed by their quality and rather restrained - even dégagé - style.

I have an embroidered Sulka silk scarf that is one of my favourites - and just gets better with age - and lately acquired a Sulka (Paris) tie that epitomises this. I shall endeavour to get a picture up shortly.

I understand the Sulka family sold the business many years ago. Im surprised it's never been revived, surely a market opening for their kind of quality? (Give Drakes a run for their money...)

Anyone know much of the history / reasons for their decline?

Regards

David
ballmouse

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 am

http://asuitablewardrobe.blogspot.com/2 ... sulka.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/nyreg ... in-us.html

Seems like a case of poor timing as they closed around the nadir of menswear (2001) as few people were buying the 'timeless styles' that Sulka was known for. Had they stayed open for a few more years, they would probably have seen a boon of business as the Internet and menswear really took off.
Mark Seitelman

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Basically, Sulka's ownership passed from the original owners and family to others in the 1960's and onwards.

It is a textbook example of how a legendary maker is "flipped" by various owners seeking prestige and a few dollars. Eventually, the company lost its value, and it was no longer worth selling. The stores were shut.

Before Vendome owned the company, here are a couple of the prior owners:

1. Sy Syms. He was a pioneer of "off price" and discount shopping at his Syms stores. He made a fortune, but his children closed the stores. Syms was a victim of the "off price" competition that it created. It was highly ironic that the master of discount "schmatter" owned one of the finest clothiers.

2. The Felt Family. They own Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

The last Sulka store was on Madison at 69th Street. It was a little over the top in luxury, fine woods, and space. It was a showplace, but it did not feel comfortable as a mens store. It was very unlike the prior stores that I knew, such as the one opposite the St. Regis Hotel and the one at Park Avenue and about 54th Street. The prior stores were not as grand, but they were more comfortable shopping experiences. The Madison Avenue shop was too intimidating.

In the later years the merchandise became more "luxe" and Italian. The silks became shiny. The ties cried out "expensive".

I still have some Sulka ties.

I personally do not see the brand being revived. Too much time has passed since its closure, and its customer base has diminished due to aging.
uppercase

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Nice background note Mark.
J.S. Groot

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:45 pm

A year or so ago Mr Porter started advertising new Sulka products:

http://www.mrporter.com/mens/Designers/Sulka?sl=true
  • Information