manbags?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Edward Bainbridge

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:33 am

The things I have to carry are even more now than when I wrote the post above three years ago, and I haven't found any new solutions, except that one might deposit house or flat keys and a burglar alarm remote control in one's letter box, taking along only the key to that, but that's a bit of a risk and might get you into problems with the insurance.

Just go away with those bags. Whatever you call them, and whatever truly wonderful materials they're made of, don't fool yourself: you may look like a woman, a bike courier or an accountant. :)
Tutumulut

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:02 am

There is an English/Austrian brand called hard graft that I can wholeheartedly recommend. The leathers and felts they use are strong, their style is contemporary without looking like fashion, and the layout of their products is always well thought out. I have several items, including a hold-all (cum laptop case cum portfolio, no longer in their range), a thin wallet and a phone case. All have only turned more beautiful with age.

For the manbag, there are envelope-style bags and also satchel-style bags.

T
davidhuh

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:05 pm

Tutumulut wrote:Austrian brand
Gentlemen,

Tutumulut just reminds me that I should say something :D - there is another great Austrian maker of leather goods that nobody outside Vienna seems to know about. R. Horn is the name, http://rhorns.com/en/catalogue/handbags/
I have the Thomas Mann briefcase in two versions, it is getting a lot of admiration.

Cheers, David
Simon

Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:55 pm

YoungLawyer wrote:I've been meaning to commission something similar to this satchel from Gizzi (http://www.gizzi-leather.com/leather_sa ... le_09.html), and this seems suitably versatile, doesn't it?
Just a positive note for Gizzi - I ordered a bag recently. I changed a few things and Mark did a great job, with phenomenal craftsmanship for the money (all very neatly handsewn).
lxlloyd

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 am

Tutumulut wrote:There is an English/Austrian brand called hard graft that I can wholeheartedly recommend. The leathers and felts they use are strong, their style is contemporary without looking like fashion, and the layout of their products is always well thought out. I have several items, including a hold-all (cum laptop case cum portfolio, no longer in their range), a thin wallet and a phone case. All have only turned more beautiful with age.

For the manbag, there are envelope-style bags and also satchel-style bags.

T
Those appear to be well thought out designs.

The manbag question is tricky. Bags with shoulder straps deform your shoulders (and do your back a world of harm) DOWN WITH SHOULDER STRAPS. But the deformation that I see clothes go through because people have too much in their pockets also makes me sad. Smythson do some nice ones.

A warning: It always makes me die a little inside when someone asks me to put something in my handbag, because it will always be, at any point in time, my most valued, valuable and treasured article that i wear, a sanctum which has been very carefully calculated as to what goes into it, and optimised for weight.... If i myself have made the offer (which i will do often), i have made the calculation that yes, my bag can fit the thing without straining the leather or my shoulders, but most of the rest of the time (I will always accept even if it makes me cringe, because to not to would be rude and i still value people over objects) excess objects will be damaging my bag because i have precalculated exactly how much i can fit in it.... and that makes me sad (partially because my grandmother gave me the bag as her last ever gift). The same would be true even if my handbag were shoddy and cheap (more so, because i'm worrying that it would break quicker).
.... to be fair, "Die a little" is perhaps too strong, but there is the momentary flash of "oh dear....." that i cannot seem to shake. I suppose it's because of the effort that goes into curating it's contents, which no-one else can ever assess? It may appear that I shove any old thing in there, but no.....

Apologies for the tangent. To summarise: Yes the object will be accepted into my handbag, but i will spend a stupid amount of time either worrying about the bag being overstrained or with my shoulders ouching, because over time i have worked out exactly how much i can carry all day without the weight overpulling, and even lightweight objects alter that balance negatively... also, generally i've found that if the object is that light or small then you aren't asked to carry it.

Ultimately it's silly to assign what is essentially small luggage to a gender. If a man is comfortable enough in his skin to carry one, I respect him more, as I respect someone who is willing to go against a trend to wear something that suits them (e.g. appropriately fitting suit) because it is a mark of taste, of thinking independently and of knowing oneself. If they are waving about the bag and openly declaring it as a MANBAG to everyone (I have met these people) then you know they are overcompensating and are uncomfortable and the respect is lost again. Rule of thumb: Don't turn it into an issue and it won't be?

But there are so many ugly manbags so I totally understand why so many avoid them. What on earth is this? and what is with the bags that are essentially squares on the end of a messenger strap? and why are there so many flag prints? Do flag prints make things manly? http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Denim+an ... lt,pd.html

I support men wearing a bag that suits them. This is my conclusion. Except flag prints. I cannot work out flag prints.... :|
uppercase

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:54 am

http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/leath ... dbags.html

Here's an honest craftsman making solid masculine leather goods in Massachusetts USA.

Worth a look.
C.Lee

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:52 am

I admit to using many types of bags: backpacks, lunch bags, gym bags, baggage, grocery bags, garbage bags, tote bags, gift bags, tool bags, book bags, day bags, overnight bags, shoe bags, garment bags, men's bags... Bags are an utterly utilitarian concept: something to help carry life's products, necessities, and pleasures.

Despite all this, I have yet to own a manbag, and am unsure what its best use would be, or where to get one. Is it for women to carry their catch of the day? Best to enquire at the local manwear store where they sell manshoes and manshirts. They would probably know what the deal is. This sounds like a lot of work for something which will make me presumably uncomfortable.

I'll stick with the bags I am comfortable with. :D
Russell

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:54 pm

davidhuh wrote:
Tutumulut wrote:Austrian brand
Gentlemen,

Tutumulut just reminds me that I should say something :D - there is another great Austrian maker of leather goods that nobody outside Vienna seems to know about. R. Horn is the name, http://rhorns.com/en/catalogue/handbags/
I have the Thomas Mann briefcase in two versions, it is getting a lot of admiration.

Cheers, David
David,

Thanks for the mention of R Horn & the Thomas Mann bag in particular.

As amply illustrated in the amusing video it's versatile & can certainly hold a lot as well as being elegant looking when carrying just a little. It would be a good replacement for my existing case which has always been more practical than attractive.

Horn offer the option of a leather lining which I'm inclined to choose as the silk linings in any such bag seem to be the first part to show wear. With your experience of two such bags - have you any thoughts on the lining durability?

Regards
Russell
davidhuh

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Russell wrote: Horn offer the option of a leather lining which I'm inclined to choose as the silk linings in any such bag seem to be the first part to show wear. With your experience of two such bags - have you any thoughts on the lining durability?

Russell
Dear Russell,

you made me watch the film for the first time - Mr Horn is quite a character :D .

To me, the silk moiré lining looks very durable. After four years, both bags show no sign of wear, whether inside nor outside. Of course, leather would be even more resistant. But if ever my lining would be damaged, I would simply have it repaired. The advantage of silk moiré is that especially documents, books or magazines would be easier to pack or remove from the bag.

Cheers, David
Russell

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:43 pm

David,

Thanks for the advice. As you say, a lining can be repaired by Horn.

Brown or camel - I'll have to decide!

I loved the photo montage right at the end of the video - Mr Horn & Mr Mann. :lol:

Regards
Russell
uppercase

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 pm

My view would be not to wear something that swings from your shoulder.

I suppose that excludes "man bags", such a belittling term.

I further suppose that no man should carry a bag called a "man bag " particularly if he does not sport a long beard and come from the mountains of tora bora. That would make it a little bit more palatable.

But, hey, whatever, turns you on.

Is there such a thing as a woman bag?
Russell

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:09 pm

uppercase wrote:My view would be not to wear something that swings from your shoulder.
I quite agree, as would my tailor (especially my tailor).

The Thomas Mann bag as made by R Horn has only a normal handle but as a general purpose bag it has an advantage over a traditional semi-rigid briefcase due to it being relatively soft & flexible for those occasions when all sorts of items are stuffed into it.

Regards
Russell
Rob O

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm

I really like the Thomas Mann bag however I suspect it may become a bit of an encumbrance when one tires of carrying it, say on a train platform. Does an owner simply lay it flat on its side?

Incidentally for this reason I have been looking at the Tom Reilly range of briefcases:

davidhuh

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Rob O wrote:I really like the Thomas Mann bag however I suspect it may become a bit of an encumbrance when one tires of carrying it, say on a train platform. Does an owner simply lay it flat on its side?
Dear Rob,

it never happened to me that I got tired carrying it. What made me buy 2 Th Mann bags was the fact that it allows me to carry small things like a few documents, a few cigars and my phone elegantly. I'm not stuffing it with heavy books as Mr Horn is showing in his little film. When I have more to carry, I use a bigger briefcase made by Frank Clegg.

The Reilly briefcase looks nice though. It is something in between my Mann & Clegg :D

Cheers, David
  • Information