Art Deco wedding

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Frederic Leighton

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 pm

The wedding of my friends will be Art Deco themed as the bride is a costume designer. I am putting together my outfit for the ceremony (church) and reception (hotel in London, afternoon). Guests will mostly be in their 30's, with a high number of creative people - musicians, artists, tailors, gamers, dancers, tattoo artists, etc.

I guess historical accuracy won't be essential, despite the bride and her friends being specialized in Art Deco fashion. I am thinking of something similar to what the third man from the left is wearing in this photo taken in 1932. I guess a high stand collar (like the one worn by the third man from the right) would be slightly too formal, although I'd love to go for it. I also like the outfit of the man in the middle and already have all the necessary; is he wearing a white waistcoat?

Note: the 7 men in the photo are arranged by degree of formality. Of course no spats, but I won't leave home my new pencil moustache (from heavily reducing my handlebar moustache this morning) nor my vintage 1940's black fedora. It's going to be fun!

Thoughts? suggestions?
davidhuh

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Dear Frederico,
Frederic Leighton wrote:I guess a high stand collar (like the one worn by the third man from the right) would be slightly too formal, although I'd love to go for it.
Weighing up the right dose of formality against fun, I would definitely go for fun. I trust your sense of proportion :D
Frederic Leighton wrote: I also like the outfit of the man in the middle and already have all the necessary; is he wearing a white waistcoat?
Hard to see - most likely yes. I might be ivory though, not plain white.

Cheers, David
ismailalmurtadza

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Their trousers line is superb.

murtadza
culverwood

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Perhaps not spats but what about some balmoral boots with a contrasting suede upper like these
http://alfredsargent.co.uk/handgrade-range/miller/
or
http://foster.co.uk/our-products/ready- ... d-black-2/
Frederic Leighton

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:24 pm

David: Thank you for the advice! I think you are quite right. These days, though, I find that formality and fun are almost synonyms as a slightly formal outfit easily ends up looking the fruit of a perverted mind :)

Culverwood: Thank you for reminding me of Foster's boots. I've been in the shop 15 days ago to try them on. Still not sure whether I would get the black+swede or the brown ones; probably the latter. Few days later and after letting a bit of steam go, I thought I'd probably go for normal Oxfords with swede top, like those in the 1916's fashion plate below:

• Information