New shoes for a wedding

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Dantès

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Gentlemen,

for an forthcoming wedding I seem to be reasonable prepared with morning coat and Dinner Jacket. I do have, however, only one pair of black shoes:
Plan black Oxford cap toe, very classic one (similar to picture one). Since would like to change my shoes in between – for aesthetic reasons as well as comfort (given the time from 09:00 in the morning to probably 03:00 in the morning again) – it provides me with an very good excuse to buy a new pair. BUT FOR WHAT?

Option 1
I’ll use my old ones for the day and invest my money in order to get an even better pair for the dinner jacket, so either a really plain plain oxford without the cap toe or pumps (somewhat unlikely, though).

Option 2
I'll use my old ones for the evening (with silk laces). In this case I’ll „need“ new ones together with morning coat. But which? Maybe button boots as in the second picture (here made by ZAK in Vienna)? Any other suggestions? An black Oxford with some more brouging?

I really like to have another pair of black shoes, suitable for the occasions but also well thereafter. The button-boots for example I can’t imagine with a normal suit (better with blue jeans, probably....), another half-brogue Oxford would probably be the best investment, but not very formal together with morning suit. SO – two new pairs or none at all?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Sincerely,
Dantès

P.S. Picture upload doesn’t work, but I am sure, most of you have them in your mind anyway...
Simon A

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:00 pm

You might want to keep your existing Oxfords for daytime wear, and invest in a pair of patent pumps or patent Oxfords for wear at night with your dinner suit. These are both good wardrobe basics, whereas button boots are an advanced item for when you already have a very substantial collection.
hectorm

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Dantès wrote:Since would like to change my shoes in between – for aesthetic reasons as well as comfort (given the time from 09:00 in the morning to probably 03:00 in the morning again) – it provides me with an very good excuse to buy a new pair. BUT FOR WHAT?
Dear Dantès,
the answer seems to be pretty straightforward to me.
You´ve got the morning coat covered with the perfect pair of shoes for it. Wear your cap toe oxfords to church.
What you are missing is a really good pair of shoes for your dinner suit since cap toes are not the best option. Since you want a pair that could have some alternative use, I would not recommend at this stage to invest on patent shoes (neither opera pumps nor lace-ups). I would advise instead on a pair of plain leather whole cuts. With high polish they will be excellent for your DJ, and they will be a more stylish option than the cap toes (giving them a rest) for wearing with your lounge suits in special occasions.
culverwood

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:22 am

Two alternatives suggestions depending on when you want to wear your existing shoes.

For day I was going to suggest the Crockett and Jones Kempton which seem no longer to be produced but as an alternative the Foster and Sons Fitzwilliam or G&G Tatton.

For evening a highly polished pair of J Fitzpatrick Laurelhurst or Foster and Son Hollyrood.
Dantès

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Thank you all so far for the suggestions...,

I had a look at Fosters & Son, very interesting ideas. I might add the MONTROSE IN GREY AND BLACK for the morning coat. Especially since I think I might get even more use out of the button boot....

The comments otherwise make me feel that in the long run two new pair seem to be appropriate....
Dantès
bond_and_beyond

Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm

The Crockett and Jones Alex for evening wear. Been my favourite for years.

BB
Rob O

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23 am

bond_and_beyond wrote:The Crockett and Jones Alex for evening wear. Been my favourite for years.

BB
Anything to do with them being worn by Daniel Craig in Skyfall? :wink:
Dantès

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

I wonder wether 007 has time for the water-polish...,

but it is interesting to note that the discussion really centers on the shoes for the evening:
Pumps / whole cut / patent

So everyone out there is content with cap toe Oxford for the morning coat? No one enthusiastically arguing for Button Boots?
Manself

Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 pm

I wrote this a while ago, but it seems relevant here.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/2009/12/the-pr ... th-patent/

One thing that nobody's mentioned is that it might not be a great idea to wear new shoes to one's own wedding. I'd want to have worn them in a bit (I mean more than simply scuffing up the soles to avoid slipping) to ensure that they're comfortable, especially if I was going to be dancing in them.
bond_and_beyond

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Rob O wrote:
bond_and_beyond wrote:The Crockett and Jones Alex for evening wear. Been my favourite for years.

BB
Anything to do with them being worn by Daniel Craig in Skyfall? :wink:

Nope, bought them several years before Skyfall came out :D

But it was nice to see the costume designer get one thing right with regards to Daniel Craig's outfits in that movie :lol:

BB
Manself

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm

"But it was nice to see the costume designer get one thing right with regards to Daniel Craig's outfits in that movie"

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day!
  • Information