Groom's Attire

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Phil Ossiffee

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:26 am

What do you think a groom should wear to a small, simple, summertime outdoor Jewish ceremony at 4PM at a Sonoma WInery? The bride is wearing a simple, ivory floor length gown. There is no party after the ceremony, just dinner for about 20 in a restaurant. A simply dark blue suit, white shirt, solid tie, black oxfords? Help.....
BirdofSydney

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 am

Phil,

I think that the ensemble you propose sounds excellent.

I had always assumed that a grey three-piece suit would be one step down from formal daywear, but I am told that well-to-do Europeans favour navy. I like this idea, as grey doesn't suit my complexion all too well.

I am vaguely contemplating my own nuptials in a similarly informal daytime setting, and I feel that a dark navy three-piece in a smart fabric (perhaps a mohair blend?) with a white shirt and a plain or simply patterned tie will do nicely.

At the end of the day, it's your occasion, and you should ensure above all that you are comfortable with your choice.

I don't know if the LL club tie is still available, but I always thought that it would be an ideal choice...

Cheers,

Bird
rogiercreemers

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:04 am

A dark navy or charcoal suit, white shirt and neat tie are never going to be a bad idea in these settings. Another option would be the stroller ensemble.
rodes

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Phil, Wear the semi-formal stroller and your bride will love you forever. Only one drawback. She may not be able to handle it when every other woman in attendance wants to marry you as well. A most excellent example of this coat is shown in the print by Fellows on "A Suitable Wardrobe", April 24,2011, by Will also a London Lounger.
Concordia

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Simple, small, outdoors, Napa? Semi-formal could work if it really does look as if it is not wearing you. Otherwise, the navy suit is sort of a no-brainer. Depending on your height, etc., I wouldn't even stress about going 3-piece.
couch

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:34 pm

The dark blue suit seems very apt for the likely climate and time of day. Assuming the likelihood of reasonably bright weather, I'd be inclined to consider alternatives to the solid dark tie, which might seem a bit sober for the occasion (though correct, of course). I'd be inclined to look out a silver and black "wedding" tie in a small glen check or puppy tooth, as being a bit lighter below the face and less "daily" while still being discreet--especially if your own coloring is more fair than dark.
hectorm

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Dear Phil,
The bride is wearing something very appropriate for the occasion parameters and nobody is going to mistake her outfit for something she would wear to a board meeting or the theater. Why wouldn´t the groom do the same?
The blue and charcoal suits sound like a timid second best to me.
A big part of dressing well and elegant is wearing not only clothes that are safe but also theright clothes for the occasion.
A daytime-summer-small-informal wedding, and on top, outdoors in a California winery, call for something different than those business suits. This is a one in a lifetime event and changing the necktie is not enough.
I´m thinking something along the lines of a natural linen suit, or a light gray mohair suit, or a dupioni. White shirt and oxfords, still yes.
I hope this gives you an idea and instead of going safe you go best.
Mazel Tov!
Luca

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am

Let us know what you decided!

P.S.
I side with the faction of going a little above and beyond a blue suit, though it is correct enough, as far as it goes.

P.P.S.
Anyone have any idea who, currently, in London, offers attractive, RTW and not too heavy-fabric'd trousers for a 'stroller'?
rogiercreemers

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Ede and Ravenscroft have them in cashmere stripe, houndstooth and I think Prince of Wales as well.
Luca

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Phil Ossiffee

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:23 pm

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and input.

The Stroller would be great, but I never had enough time to have it made, at least from a tailor I have experience with (they aren't local). So I'm pretty much stuck with what's already in the closet.

I've got a natural linen, navy mohair, navy worsted and a medium gray herringbone. Somehow the medium gray herringbone (had it made in Napoli years ago, but never wear since the fabric looks somehow very formal), a great silver wedding tie, white shirt, brand new black oxfords seem best -- at least today.

I'm dressing almost entirely for work, not for social occasions, so maybe I'm off target. What do you think? And thanks once again.
hectorm

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:27 am

I advised you before of a new natural linen suit for such a summer wedding, but if yours -already in the closet- is like mine, it would look too rumpled for a ceremony and ironing it would not do much good. Wear the navy mohair. It will look great side by side your bride in the long ivory gown.
Phil Ossiffee

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks very much, that's probably wise. My linen is definitely not crisp and refined.

I'd go for the mohair, but upon reflection, it's really a pretty ordinary suit (a nice old Chan, but not a lot of style in the cut). I have 2 gray herringbones cut with much style (and better fit). I don't have much sense for "wedding suits," but I'm thinking the lighter one (made in a fabric that was too precious for a suit in the first place), paired with a blue or burgundy Charvet tie with some sheen might be just right. Would post them here, but I can't seem to get a photo uploaded (says "the board attachment quota has been reached"). Does that sound reasonable?
Costi

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:26 am

You can use an image hosting site, like www.imageshack.com or others. Copy the link of your uploaded image, paste it in your post, then select it and click the "Img" button above the editing window.
Phil Ossiffee

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks, Costi. Here are 3 photos:

Assuming this works, I wonder what you think of them???
  • Information