Drakes New Shop

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Cufflink79

Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Fellow LL Members:

Has anyone walked by the new Drakes shop? I know it's not open yet, but was wondering if the windows were uncovered or anything like that.

When the new shop opens, I'd really enjoying seeing some photos. If any of our London members could post some when the shop opens, I'd enjoy seeing them very much.

Thanks in advance, I hope the new shop works well for Drakes.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
chelsea

Fri May 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Walked past the site this morning.

Still very much a building site and I was unable to see anything other than Drakes on the fascia above windows.

Chelsea
tteplitzmd

Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm off to Wiesbaden with a stop over in London this week. Is Drake's open yet?
Mike Over Metal

Tue May 24, 2011 10:16 pm

tteplitzmd,

According to their site, shop opened last Saturday 21st of May.

Regards,

Miguel
Milo

Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 pm

I was there on the 21st and can confirm that the shop has opened. Unfortunately, I had no camera.I had expected a crowd, but was the only customer. The three staff were welcoming and happy to talk though still busy to finish the displays. The store carried a lot of ties that are not on the site - most conspicuously some in bold summery designs (i.a. giraffes), but more formal ones as well - and you could also see bolts of some of the cloths the ties are cut from. Of course, other goods such as shirts were there as well. I liked the shop, and it was a treat to see the selection of ties IRL and to be able to touch them. I felt like buying almost the whole store. This of course was out of the question, but I did leave with a beautiful Macclesfield tie in navy and silvery grey.

Milo
Cufflink79

Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

How about the pocket square selection?

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Milo

Thu May 26, 2011 7:48 pm

There were squares as well, and I think I saw some in the window that I didn't know from the site. However, I rarely feel comfortable wearing a square so I wasn't paying that much attention to them.
tteplitzmd

Fri May 27, 2011 2:39 pm

I can report the shop is open. It is mainly a seasonal collection of ties and other accessories, all available from the website. Nothing much special. Mr. Cappelli offers greater options on ties and other silk accessories, at similar prices in Naples.
Scot

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 am

I visited Drake's shop and the new Marinella shop on Maddox street two days ago. The comparison was interesting.

Drake's is slightly larger and better appointed; it facilitates browsing. The staff are helpful but not intrusive. I bought a tie (three-fold, lined) and a pocket square - total £155. I was very pleased with both. I have had Drake's products before from online and other sources (Emma Willis, Huntsman) but it is good to have this shop and I will be back.

At Marinella there is very little to browse unaided. Viewing the extensive tie collection requires the assistant to bring out drawers full of them. It's perhaps just me but I felt the whole experience left one more or less compelled to buy. I bought a nine-fold tie for £200. It's a thing of great beauty, it knots and hangs very nicely - the folded silk creates substantial body within the centre of the blade. However, I shall have to choose the occasions when I wear it carefully; I am sure the first stain will leave me crestfallen!

On the whole I probably preferred the experience at Drake's and for most purposes I find their heavier woven silk ties excellent.
  • Information