Has anyone seen Boardwalk Empire?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
old henry

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Yale , thank you so much for both compliments today . A loud mouth Irish Gangster ? A loud mouth Irish tailor ? I can do both. I had so much fun doing it. The crew ran like a Swiss watch. The director, Tim VanPatton, was great The suits were Greenfield. I am a tailors nightmare to fit so I forgive their MTM. Frank..
ismailalmurtadza

Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 am

It's coming soon on the Astro(our paid TV station.I 'm looking forward to see Mr. Shattuck the Actor.

murtadza
zaki

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Love the suits and patterns from that show.

One thing I don't get it. In Boardwalk last button of a waistcoat (vest) is always buttoned. We all know that it should be unbuttoned.

Is it a mistake or back in the day in 1920 in USA the last button on the waistcoat was buttoned?
Cufflink79

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 pm

zaki wrote:Love the suits and patterns from that show.

One thing I don't get it. In Boardwalk last button of a waistcoat (vest) is always buttoned. We all know that it should be unbuttoned.

Is it a mistake or back in the day in 1920 in USA the last button on the waistcoat was buttoned?
I think maybe it was just a mistake.

Happens from time to time in various shows and movies.

For example, a scene in the movie "To Catch a Thief" shows Cary Grant waiting in the hotel lobby with his bottom blazer button buttoned, instead of the middle button. The blazer was a three button front, but with top button rolled over.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
ismailalmurtadza

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 am

Frank,
I've seen through and enjoyed to the#6 and are looking forward to see till the final series.Interesting story.
That was you,I presume in #4 negotiating with al capone and jimmy and also the meeting with al capone,jimmy and an elderly mafiaso?.Strong character for you as a Irish gangster boss,though ended sadly.
What is that suit style called?.It's a 3pc Sb peak lapels,6 button place like the DB.I am yet to come across/seen in any Esky/AA illustration / or others of such a fashion.It's stylish.

Cheers to you Frank.

murtadza
old henry

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 pm

Yes Murtazda, that is me, your humble tailor , in #4. They shot me in the back. Yes a 3 button, single breast, peak. The top coat in #4 was vintage. Very heavy. You could never find that cloth today. Martin Green field did a great job along with the costume designers. Frank S
ismailalmurtadza

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:42 am

Frank,
I did notice the all attire worn.
The vintage topcoat is something that I can only admire.We will be toasted wearing it in Malaysia.The average temp. here would be around 34.c in daytime and 30/25.c at night,even after a heavy downpour (rain) in the evening.
Thank you anyway.

murtadza
McGee

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Hello Guys....first post on here & I hope it's not a silly one:

In that same episode that is being discussed, Jimmy & Al' get new suits.
When Al' is putting his on you can see for 1 second that it has a hook and eye fastening on the waistband.
Was that a mistake? Would they have been in use back then?
Cufflink79

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 pm

McGee wrote:Hello Guys....first post on here & I hope it's not a silly one:

In that same episode that is being discussed, Jimmy & Al' get new suits.
When Al' is putting his on you can see for 1 second that it has a hook and eye fastening on the waistband.
Was that a mistake? Would they have been in use back then?
Welcome McGee:

What a great eye for detail, I didn't even catch the hook & eye. I was too busy looking at the peak lapels on Al's vest. The show takes place in 1920 and four years earlier Oxxford Clothes was introduced. So I believe the hook & eye was around in that time period.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
McGee

Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 am

I've watched 9 episodes of this show now....it's starting to hot up.

The suits are all beautiful, actually the suits are more interesting than the stories!
However they do all look as if they have just been taken out of the box they came in...everyone's suit, not just the characters that would have the money to be constantly wearing new or freshly laundered suits...and maybe it's just the quality of the material (or the fact that they are just out the box!) but they look like they are made out of cardboard.

Just found this quote on another LL thread:
"To attain style in dress, you must look perfectly happy and relaxed in your clothes which must appear part of you rather than a wardrobe you have just donned."
"ABC of Men's Fashion" pg 108 by Hardy Amies"

I think that partly sums up what I mean by the "cardboard" look of the suits.
  • Information