New Year's In London

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Aristide

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:04 pm

My wife has suggested that we leave sunny California shortly after Christmas and spend New Year's Eve and Day in London, returning on or about 6 January. I guess my concerns center around my perception of the lack of commercial activity during that time, assuming many shopkeepers, etc., will be closed, certainly at least for New Year's Day. Can anybody shed some light on what can be expected during this period of time...museum closings, restaurant's, bar's, tabacconists, etc? Thank you in advance.
chelsea

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:55 am

I confess it would not be my favourite time of year to be in London.

However, you may be surprised by the number of shops open as it is 'sale' time in London. I would expect the shops to shut early on New Year's Eve. Some of the larger shops may even open on New Year's Day.

Last year, between Christmas and New Year, London was full of Europeans buying everything in sight due to the weakness of the pound. I recall being surrounded by Italians on Jermyn Street.

Chelsea
storeynicholas

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:17 pm

I have to confess that, a little time ago, we were eying some internet brochures on log cabins in Lapland for Christmas - and I'd certainly second Chelsea when he says that this time of year is not the best time to spend in London - a madding (and a maddening) crowd indeed - unless you like people very, very much that is.
Jordan Marc

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Nicholas:

Have you and your wife considered the possibility of spending the holidays by driving along the Pacific Coast Highway, stopping at charming bed-and-breakfasts, visiting vineyards to replenish your cellar, or meandering up to Alberta, Canada? New York, London and Paris can be fun, I suppose, but not in winter. While the shops may be brimming with merchandise, there is really nothing worth buying for discerning shoppers. It's drek! Why not postpone your holiday until spring and head for Firenze?

JMB
storeynicholas

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Jordan Marc wrote:Nicholas:

Have you and your wife considered the possibility of spending the holidays by driving along the Pacific Coast Highway, stopping at charming bed-and-breakfasts, visiting vineyards to replenish your cellar, or meandering up to Alberta, Canada? New York, London and Paris can be fun, I suppose, but not in winter. While the shops may be brimming with merchandise, there is really nothing worth buying for discerning shoppers. It's drek! Why not postpone your holiday until spring and head for Firenze?

JMB
Now there's a good idea and shall put this up to the committee of ways and means!!
NJS
shredder

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:02 am

One winter we decided to remain in London for Christmas and New Years rather than going to the Engadin as we usually do; we concluded that it was not to be repeated. That said, I do not think that there is a wrong time to visit London.
bengal-stripe

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am

Aristide wrote:........the lack of commercial activity during that time, assuming many shopkeepers, etc., will be closed, certainly at least for New Year's Day.
New Year’s Day will be one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

The Sales begin right after Christmas; a number of stores will start their Sale on Boxing Day, something unheard of a few years ago.

Apart from a few (small-ish) shops, virtually all stores in town will be open and you can throw yourself into bargain-hunting (if that is what you want).

Rolf
JRLT

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 am

In the last couple of years it has gone quite berserk. A decade or so back Harrods acted as a sort of starting gun for the January sales (now an antiquated term). Their sale began on about the 8th and others followed suit.

It's now common for plenty of UK shops to start their sales pre-Christmas. Last year for example I picked up a pair of shoes in Trickers on Christmas Eve.

Others delay until Boxing Day but start their online sales on Christmas Day(!), ensuring that no day of the year in the UK is any longer not a shopping day.
  • Information