Trousers Alteration - Double Pleat to Single Pleat

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:20 am

Can someone please advise whether or not a trouser alteration from double pleat to single pleat is a simple exercise for a tailor.

Thank you

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:55 pm

I can't tell you what it involves practically, but I remember asking my tailor once if he could change a pair of trousers that he had just cut (not sewn yet) from double pleats to single and he told me that the cut differs and it wouldn't be advisable. Now I'm just as curious as you to find out whether he was simply not in the mood to alter the pattern, or indeed things are complicated (more complicated at any rate with trousers finished).

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:14 pm

It is someone complicated, as the pattern for the legs allows for the extra fabric required for the double pleats. It would require trimming the sides of each of the legs and re-making the single pleats. It also depends on the size of the pleats.

James

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:22 am

The logic of the situation may fall this way:

If the trousers are so valuable, as in made for you, then you probably have a tailor and could get it done as it involves removing fabric rather than adding. it will cause some pain to you tailor but is not impossible.

If the trousers are not so valuable or irreplaceable, you are likely to spend more on the alteration than the garment is worth when you factor in the probability of success. Consider that nearly the entire trouser needs to be unstitched - legs from waistband to re-pleat, legs taken in, rehemmed, etc. Better to leave the double pleats behind as an error (we all need stylish trousers for gardening, painting, late nioght carousing) and invest in a new pair.

Consider this - for what it will cost to attempt to have the trousers addressed and then to purchase a pair in a shop when you have determined that the experiment failed, you could probably avoid all of the bother by going MTM or bespoke.

Trust me, we are all looking for ways to justify the expense.

Just trying to help,
DDM
  • Information