Looking for a book

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm looking for a book that I remember from my childhood, but unfortunately my memories are too vague to be of much use. Hopefully one of you gentlemen can help me.

If I recall correctly, it was a big hardcover book, reminiscent of the Alan Flusser book "Dressing the Man" in its format and layout. It had a red dust jacket. However, this is where the problem arises: I remember a title like "Gentleman" or something of the sort, but web searches reveal no such books.
The content was more expansive than dressing the man - it went through everything from choosing suits, to accesories and personal objects, and even subjects like shaving.

Unfortunately my memories of this book are quite limited, but hopefully one of you can help me.

Thanks.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Bernhard Roetzel, Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:02 pm

Bernhard Roetzel, Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion

Funnily enough, two days ago I spent ten minutes thumbing through this book at a Barnes and Noble in Manassas Virginia. $14.99 in the "big book sale section"

Red dust jacket, intros a variety of subjects from custom shirt to benchmade shoes. Lots of pictures (though not enough of cloth and different uses/styles).

DDM

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:Bernhard Roetzel, Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion
Thanks a lot, to both of you. I'm sure it's not the definitive book on any of the subjects it covers, but it's always good to find an old book you've spent a while thinking about.

Thanks again!

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:46 pm

A good "apetizer": it is a well-written book that raises curiosity as much as it explains the basic concepts. A pleasure to look through ; as Oscar Wilde explained why the cigarette is the prototype of the perfect pleasure (I paraphrase from memory): "It is delicious and it leaves one unsatisfied"...

Costi
  • Information