Fox Flannels

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:20 pm

Who makes the best flannels today?

I have variously been told either Fox or Smith, with Anderson & Sheppard having high praise for Smith.

Am looking for a true flannel, though light weight, with the classic mottled background and fuzzy stripes.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:51 pm

Haven't tried Fox yet, but the Smiths 11.5oz is really good. A&S did a suit in darkest charcoal for me last year and it is really nice. Might spring for the mid-grey next winter although there is a worsted blue flannel from Lesser that also calls out...

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:47 am

If you like it very soft, Scabal has a S100s woolen flannel, and Poole tell me that Holland & Sherry has a superfine and rather fragile S140s, but I have not seen it so far.

TVD

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:31 am

I don't believe that A&S even carries the Fox book, do they?

That's a bit surprising as I always thought that Fox was considered the finest....

Perhaps A&S has an arrangement with Smiths as I believe that they offer some private commission flannels just for their clients.....?

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:21 pm

With the increase in european currency, would someone be able to provide recent prices of fox flannels (per meter or per yard) in US$?

Thank you

-oscarsfan

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:30 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Fox book per se. Fox's primary business is to make flannels for others. It is possible to contact them directly and ask them to send you cuttings of what they have on hand. The cuttings will not be in book form, however, but glued to sheets of black crepe paper.

I believe but am not certain that Fox made the flannels in the current Minnis book, which I think is currently the best flannel book out there. Last time I checked (August 2005) these cost $130 per yard, wholesale.

I have always been underwhelmed by the Smith flannel book. Maybe the one all the NY tailors have is different from what A&S has.

manton

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 am

i would assume that these are made by the parent company Huddersfield Fine Worsteds, now operating under a different name.
  • Information