Natural Shoulder, fitted suits....off the rack?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:08 pm

Hi,

Which ready-made suit makers produce an English-style fitted suit with a more natural shoulder? Thanks in advance for your time.

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:44 pm

:( no one i`am afright

Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:44 pm

:( no one i`am afright

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:01 am

sorry, I don't know....particularly as I generallly think of the English style RTW suits as having more padded, structured shoulders, rather than natural shoulders.

You may be looking for a RTW suit which doesn't exist: structured English style with natural shoulders....

uppercase

Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:29 am

I have a RTW suit made by HACKETT that has a pretty natural shoulder. But that suit is some years old so I don`t know if they have changed their styling in recent years. Maybe you check their HP:

www.hackett.co.uk

BTW, the suits are quite overpriced!

Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:43 am

If by "natural" you mean a soft, Neapolitan type unpadded shoulder, that does not exist in RTW. Only Anderson & Sheppard and their disciples do soft tailoring in the UK, and that is all bespoke. If you simply mean a sloping shoulder line with thin but maybe somewhat stiff padding (the more military style of certain Savile Row houses), than a few RTW outfitters offer this: I would try Ede & Ravenscroft, Hackett, Cordings. Only some of these suits will be English made. Hackett for example changed suppliers a few years back, and I heard unfavourable comments. Even Burberry Trenchcoats are now made in Turkey, I believe. This would not be a problem per se, if the quality had remained unaffected.

Generally, a "natural" shoulder requires costly and skillfull manufacturing processes, whereas putting in lots of padding can be done with low skill operations at a fraction of the cost. Since the final demise of Chester Barrie/Cheshire Clothing there is nobody left in the UK to actually produce suits of that caliber.

In addition to the names mentioned above, there are large numbers of boutique RTW and MTM outlets in London that offer foreign (mostly Italian) made suits catering for an English or at least Anglicised taste. These often seem a bit flash or "Eurotrash", and tend towards the expensive. But you will have to search them out in person, I am not aware of any that would be stocked outside their own shops.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:19 pm

Thanks a lot for everyone's responses. They were very helpful.
  • Information