New Book: Style For Modern Men

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

internationalist

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:53 pm

But can it be interesting for you?

Written by so called Paris fashion consultants:
http://www.styleformodernmen.com/
Levi

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Wow. Just... Wow.
Simon A

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Please....this is the bastard child of "Queer Guy for the Straight Guy", if such a thing is possible, with a hefty fee attached. How to buy denim? What next, how to walk and breathe concurrently?

As a young chap I shelled out $20 for "A Gentleman's Wardrobe" by Paul Keers at my local menswear store. It was hardly the "I Ching" of Style, it is very simple and pedestrian, but it layed out "The Rules" of what was required in which situation, which you were then free to accept or ignore at your whim, as well as some basic history of classical men's dress. There are plenty of other inexpensive books available that fulfil a similar role admirably for a young man.
Luca

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

I suppose it fills a niche; the niche for chaps who want to look fashionable (whatever that may happen to be right now) and can't figure it out for themselves (Low intellect? Impatience?). Good luck to them.

I don't suppsoe any of the posters on THIS site will be requiring their services... :D
Bespoken2

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 am

internationalist wrote:But can it be interesting for you?

Written by so called Paris fashion consultants:
http://www.styleformodernmen.com/
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha ... this is AWFUL !!! :lol: :lol:
Costi

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Some of the diagnosing seems in fact correct, but the causes and solutions are debatable.
If you’re like I used to be, you’re probably sick and tired dressing in a way that doesn’t attract women or impress men, or simply make you feel good with your image.
If the purpose of dressing is attracting women or impressing men, things don't work. Feeling good with one's own image is important, though, and most other benefits derive from it.
You want to dress well and look good but you don’t understand what basics you should buy, how clothes should fit, and what suits you best.
As long as you think it's a matter of knowing what to buy in order to feel good with your own image, you're still lost.
Then you read magazines and online articles only to find yourself puzzled with a big information overload.
Isn't that true? :wink:
And when you DO think you just found the right clothes, they remain in your closet because you’re afraid that people may think you’re trying too hard.
And that proves that buying doesn't solve the matter, as long as you don't understand how to wear the clothes in order to feel at home in them.
So you stick with the white tees and jeans and you don’t get much attention from girls…
I doubt Gary Cooper suffered much from lack of attention:
Some men just naturally seem to have style. These men are neither superheroes, nor born with an innate sense of fashion. They simply were lucky enough to have good role models and build their style along the years.
Good observation, wrong explanation. They DO naturally have style. Others were exposed to the same role models and had the same number of years to "build" their style, and they still lack it.
Most men fail to dress with style because they have the wrong approach. They try to dress like pictures they see in the magazines, or worse, let their mother or girlfriend pick clothes for them.
Think about it. Is that how you become confident in your clothes?
I think this is a good diagnostic. No argument there.
I could give you a list of clothes to buy, and provide you with an instant makeover – making you look satisfactory for just a day…
But I refuse!
Because I want you to LEARN how to dress and make you look good for the rest of your life.

So far so good, that's a good approach. Let's see the solutions...
You get good at something learning the METHOD!
That’s what the Style For Modern Men Method is all about.
there’s a quick and easy way to reach the same results.
The way to make that happen for you is to follow the formula used over and over by men who meet success with style.
You just need to apply this basic formula that stylish men use (conciously or unconciously)
...and all you need to do is buy the book to get the magic formula :)
Dulcamara selling his Elixir of Style. Let's see what it tastes like...
Style = (Knowledge+Fun)Originality
Knowledge of rules mostly helps one avoid things that don't work, they are the negative (rather than affirmative) component of stylish dress.
Beyond rules, originality is the active, creative component ensuring that rules are not simply applied as dress formulae, but that some personal flavour is added to spice things up. However, this is not about
Contrasts, cuts, and accessories
and I don't know how originality can be taught in a book. In fact, it needn't be taught at all, it just needs to be uncovered, unveiled, as it is already there inside of us, sitting idle under layers of preconceived ideas, fears and inhibition.
Originality is also overrated in this formula. It is not the power factor, but the natural balancing factor of "knowledge". Knowledge without originality = barely appropriate, but not interesting. Originality without knowledge = clown.
So I would put originality between the brackets along with knowledge, leaving "Fun" as the power factor. Without its amplifying effect, results can only be modest. Of course, fun is not about
discovering new stores, shopping more confidently with your new knowledge.
Rather, it is about enjoying oneself with dress, rather than aiming to entertain others (as in "dress to impress").
The good news is that you can make a giant step just applying basic KNOWLEDGE. Once you master it, you’ll be able to twist concepts to your advantage to bring FUN and ORIGINALITY into your look…
Agreed about knowledge, which can be acquired, but fun and originality can at best be inspired by a book (or real life examples), rather than taught as a subject of study.

A few more chapter titles that sound good in theory (but we are yet to see how they are treated in the book...):
Limiting Beliefs and Insecure Feelings: It’s in Your Head.

You and Your Clothes: How to Dress Is Something Bigger Than Fashion.

Congruence: Don’t disguise yourself.

The Truth About Colors and Complexion: Stop Overthinking NOW.
We have often discussed these on the London Lounge...

The authors wrap up their presentation (before the testimonials section) with a paragraph which, inasmuch as it is not a marketing gimmick (hard to know before reading the book), is a fair and honest "disclaimer":
P.S. * One last thing… Dressing with style isn’t going to automatically change your life and make you happy on the inside. If you believe that looking good will be the answer to all of life’s problems, PLEASE DO NOT BUY MY PRODUCT. No kidding.But I can also tell you that if you don’t know how to dress with style, then you’re probably going to walk through life feeling like you’re not the best you can be – or fully respected – in the eyes of friends, employers and women. It’s not an easy thing to explain to someone who doesn’t get it, but I’ll bet that you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about.
...don't you?
internationalist

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 am

To add insult to injury I don't live in a fashion capital so for inspiration I have to resort to the Internet. Any inspiration.

I was recommended here a bunch of old drawing some time before, it's nice, but I might be interested in something else, too.
Costi

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 pm

internationalist wrote:for inspiration I have to resort to the Internet. Any inspiration.
:shock:
:oops:
BirdofSydney

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:36 pm

In what universe is $37 "the cost of a shirt"?
Costi

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Depending on what you call a shirt, there are even cheaper options around...
internationalist

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Here is the French guys' blog in English: http://www.webflakes.com/france/bonne-gueule.html
Personally I found it quite interesting. On the other hand, can you recommend me good style blogs? I prefer the blog format to the forum.
internationalist

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:22 pm

To go even further. I have finally finished the book. It was worth reading it.

What I have learned?

- Style is a journey a continuous improvement. You can't start with bespoke, you go step by step. It is quite possible to dress sophisticated for less - at least it is a good exercise in the beginning. As you progress, your wardrobe will consist of less, more versatile and higher quality items. And mistakes in judgement will get more costly. (Not to mention reading here the posts how members are disappointed here with some of their costly bespoke investments. Expensive - and I have to say not the most useful! - gifts to charity.)

- Even at the advanced level, appreciate value line clothes. A wardrobe consisting solely of expensive items is not balanced.

And many other things, but especially these two I have missed on this forum. :( Especially solid tips on how to start with developing some solid foundations of style.
Last edited by internationalist on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
internationalist

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:25 pm

The basic advice here is to just search and read the forum. Me especially progresses better by reading a book, step by step than by random forum posts and different opinions. I'm sorry.

So, perhaps you - anyone who is feeling addressed - could also write a book, how about the idea?
mrleiter

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:16 pm

This is a joke. If you cannot find a style that fits you I hardly believe that you should get into this. Maybe first start by looking into yourself.
internationalist

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am

mrleiter wrote:This is a joke. If you cannot find a style that fits you I hardly believe that you should get into this. Maybe first start by looking into yourself.
Would be interested if you explain your ideas in more detail.
  • Information