The travelling wardrobe of the road warrior

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Jeremy

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:03 pm

My first job will very likely require me to travel very extensively in Asia with occasional jumps to HQ in Europe.

Can someone advise me on the appropriate best practices as regards the title? Thank you.
Concordia

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:09 pm

My flashback was to the voice-over in the opening of "The Accidental Tourist" when Mr. Boring Newsletter Guy extols the virtue of mid grey for business travel because it shows less dirt than other colors.

Seriously, there are some real pros on the board here and at AAAC. How long is your longest stint on the road, and will you stay in the same hotel for more than a few days?
manton

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Heavy, sturdy worsteds resist wrinkles best. I recently wore a 15 ounce twill for half a day in London, then three hours at the airport, then for seven hours on the flight home, then another hour from the airport to my house, and it still looked great.

For summer, frescos also resist wrinkling and allow airflow. Len Logsdail once told me about some miracle cloth (a blend of wool, slik, and linen, I think) that he said resisted wrinkles better than anything he had ever seen. I can't remember what it was.

Solid grays and blues will be safe anywhere you go, so start there and branch out later.
DD MacDonald

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Grays have the advantage of showing less of the lint, dirt, hair and the other odd things that seem preversely attracted to blues.

If your travels follow a predictable path at hotels that you come to know (and they to know you) everything becomes much easier because you learn to rely on their cleaning and valet services.

One of the great things about travelling is that you will become very disciplined about wardrobe coordination and integration.

DDM
whyescalar

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:57 pm

No hard and fast rule. I travel far too much than I would like.

Invest a good carry-on that actually adheres to overhead space, and an attache that can fit your notebook plus a pair of shoes and a sweater AND fit under the seat. Commit to these two pieces, and you'll save countless headaches and missed luggage.

I usually pack one suit and one sportcoat. One pair of trainers (exercise helps overcome jetlag) and one pair of dressy casual brown shoes. If you really need the black dress shoes, you can pack these in your carry-on, while the trainers and/or more casual shoes can fit in the attache.

Four dress shirts, folded. (find a case that you can fit these in the top lid.). Three ties with a tie case. One pair of jeans. One pair of khakis. One polo shirt. One pair of shorts/swim trunks. Two t-shirts. Four pairs of dark socks (make sure these do not have holes - they do remove shoes in Japan and Korea), and two pairs of athletic socks. Ah yes, clean boxers. A dressier belt to wear with the suit. You'll have to do laundry, and that's adviseable.

Dopp kits are bulky, take up a lot of space, and you'll need a toothbrush midflight (hopefully). Half your toiletries also wind up a the ziploc bag if you're flying to and from the States.

Each person finds their perfect combination. You'll find an alpinist's discipline evolve with each trip ["...bet I could do without."] Good luck.

p.s. Don't forget the indefatigable grey trouser.
smoothjazzone

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Its made by GRM and comes in a range of colors -- fabric is designed to have a linen like look to it -- colors are quite flat

manton wrote:Len Logsdail once told me about some miracle cloth (a blend of wool, slik, and linen, I think) that he said resisted wrinkles better than anything he had ever seen. I can't remember what it was.
manton

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 pm

smoothjazzone wrote:Its made by GRM and comes in a range of colors -- fabric is designed to have a linen like look to it -- colors are quite flat.
Flat colors might not be such a bad thing, but a lineny look is probably not the best thing for a business travel cloth.
kolecho

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:37 am

My road trips averages 2 weeks, stopping in multiple cities. I usually have two suits (one jacket of which doubles as a sport jacket), two pairs of dress shoes, running shoes, 7 sets of shirts, underwear, socks, 5 ties, a pair of odd trouser, a pair of jeans or corduroys, a jumper, gloves etc for cooler seasons. All this fits into a 22" carry on and a briefcase. I do my best not to check in luggage, unless I am forced to.
Jeremy

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:50 am

Kolecho, for reasons of efficiency my travels will likely be organized into multi-week "tours" as well, e.g. Shanghai - Singapore - KL - Bangkok - Hanoi - Singapore - Shanghai

Points that are new to me include
a) to not have to check anything in,
b) to bring along sneakers (I wasn't planning to), and
c) to keep shirts and ties in boxes (so that's how one keeps them crease free!).

I'll probably drop the jeans though. I find khakis and wool trousers more comfortable. All the guidances on the quantities of each article of clothing has been helpful.
pchong

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:05 am

Some additonal comments

a. check-in luggage within AP usually not a problem...especially point to point is ok. p.s. I work in the airline industry...so take this with the pinch of salt...
b. sneakers which double as gym/running shoes are best.
c. best way to keep shirts crease free is to pack each in its own plastic bag. But a 2 week trip would necessarily mean you have to use hotel laundry.

wool is surprisingly not as hot as one would imagine...especially if one wears fresco, or a light fabric.
Jeremy wrote:Kolecho, for reasons of efficiency my travels will likely be organized into multi-week "tours" as well, e.g. Shanghai - Singapore - KL - Bangkok - Hanoi - Singapore - Shanghai

Points that are new to me include
a) to not have to check anything in,
b) to bring along sneakers (I wasn't planning to), and
c) to keep shirts and ties in boxes (so that's how one keeps them crease free!).

I'll probably drop the jeans though. I find khakis and wool trousers more comfortable. All the guidances on the quantities of each article of clothing has been helpful.
whyescalar

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:32 pm

Athletic shoes are also handy when your feet start to swell.

Long-distance flights, where the cabin is pressurized to around 8,000 feet, cause humans to retain water. As does lack of sleep, heat, too much alcohol, not enough water, and high-sodium food, all of which one would find in in your ports-of-call.
Will

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:51 pm

Once U.S. security began encouraging checked bags I changed my mode of packing. For trips of more than three days instead of packing light I travel with a 26" suitcase containing everything I might need.

The larger case gives me the luxury of having three to four suits, or evening clothes, changes of shoes, and small comforts ranging from a travel umbrella to a steamer. And siince the case has wheels it's not materially more difficult to tote than something smaller.
rjman

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:43 pm

Will wrote:Once U.S. security began encouraging checked bags I changed my mode of packing. For trips of more than three days instead of packing light I travel with a 26" suitcase containing everything I might need.

The larger case gives me the luxury of having three to four suits, or evening clothes, changes of shoes, and small comforts ranging from a travel umbrella to a steamer. And siince the case has wheels it's not materially more difficult to tote than something smaller.
Will:
What do you do about pilfering and about the general frustrations of baggage inspection? When I travelled with a hardside, and left it unlocked per TSA guidelines, I found that US airport security would open my suitcase and not fully close it, so that it would come out of the hold with one side open. This happened twice, so that I bought a zip suitcase, thinking that it would be easier for them to close, if they cared to. I also invested in a supposedly TSA-friendly lock which I thought would discourage stealing but which (I thought) was supposed to be able to be opened by the TSA with ease. Instead, they wrenched the zipper off its tracks and broke off one of the zipper fobs (each time they have left something open or broken something, they left me a nice card saying they'd been there, so I know it was TSA). I'm not sure how to pack a checked bag now -- if I leave things unlocked, I can't even be sure TSA will close the bag.
Jeremy

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:51 pm

Will, I've gotten the first clue that a steamer is key. I was at the interview for this job in Bielefeld, Germany, and three people were sitting around me. The Managing Director of Sales, who plays the bad cop in the interview, eyed me up and down towards the end of it and remarked, "I'm still not convinced you can make it in Shanghai. This is no office job."

"I've lived out of a suitcase for longer than I care to remember," I replied.

"But for someone who lives out of a suitcase, your suit's impossibly well-pressed!" he remarked.

It was a good thing I steamed the suit thoroughly the night before in the hotel. He has probably seen too many of his salespeople come into meetings with thrashed-up suits.
Tampan

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 am

Luggage restrictions in Asia are not as draconian as in/out of UK or US, but they're getting tougher.

KLIA (Kuala Lumpur international airport) is restricting liquids, aerosols and gels over 100ml except in rare (medical/baby) cases from April 1. These smaller containers must be in the usual transparent resealable bag, one per passenger.

While carry-ons are not much restricted in Asia, Australia is much different and make as much fuss about the weight as they do the contents. Perth customs are particularly fussy.
  • Information